1Steve

Aug 13, 2002
I own a 98 220R and I plan on replacing the piston this winter along with some mods. My brother bought a new 03 220R and I have been trying to convince him to replace the piston. I talked to the dealer this week and he "thinks" the problem was solved for the 03's. His response did not convice me. Have any of you heard that the problem is fixed or not?

Thanks

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
My understanding is that it only becomes a problem when the bike is modified from stock creating more stress on the piston.  I've heard of no change for '03 to fix the situation.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Steve, whilst the majority of the problem pistons has been on modified bikes, there have been a couple on stock ones, too - one for sure, but I'd say it was probably due to the top-end having been left a bit too long.

Personally, I'd go with the manual's "replace after break-in" recommendation - killing two birds with one stone for peace of mind, especially if you aren't convinced by the dealer (haven't heard about it either).

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I didn't replace my piston, But I don't wind my bike out. I plan on doing the piston after I get a pipe on the bike. The dealer's will tell you anyhting you want to hear.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom