Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
As some may know I took delivery of my new '03 KTM 250exc last week and went for my first significant trail ride yesterday (sunday).  To bring everyone to speed I am comming off an '01 KDX 220 with decent mods, and I compete in Hare Scrambles and an occasional Enduro.

To start off, all tho the KTM out weighs the KDX by approximately 16lbs, it handles as if it were 16lbs lighter.  We rode 58 miles in a variety of conditions, single track, open fire roads, to very rocky technical areas.  The bike handles like a dream.  The suspension is wonderful, I now understand what people meant about fork flex on the KDX.  The KTM front end is rock solid yet soaks up everything in its path. power delivery is predictable and even.  I was able to lug down and then roll on the throttle to pull back into the power range.  The KTM is quite a bit narrower than the KDX and this made gripping the seat with my knees a real pleasure.  The foot pegs are very wide, I felt quite stable in a standing position, which is good because the KTM seat is about as soft as a 2x6 board.  The suspension and carb are still in stock form.  The suspension seemed to get plusher as the miles clicked on.  I will make a few more rides before I do much fiddling with the clickers.  As for the carb, it is an absolute that the pilot jet at least is rich.  I had the air screw turned out about 2 1/2 turns for best throttle.  I think I will move needle clip up one slot and pilot down one size for next ride.  Then I will do some plug chops.  This bike will really rip, For the first time ever I was able to shift gears while doing a wheelie. I did not get past 4th gear, and spent most of the day in 3rd gear.  I am very satisfied with the purchase and KTM used to be a bike I only dreamed of.  Now I have one... :yeehaw: :aj:  
Thanks all
Lew

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Sweet ride Lew. Glad you like it! I know what you mean about spending all day in 3rd gear. I dont dare get any higher than 3rd on my 300 on the trails! I will have to post a ride report later.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I knew you would like it Lew, your first impressions are similar to mine although I noticed the frame not flexing too. Were you able to get some of the EE goodies I suggested? Try the 45 pilot or you'll foul plugs starting it.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Yea Fred I did get the clutch protector and am getting ready for the cdi relocator. I did not specifically notice the lack of frame flex, but I am sure it was part of the overall sturdiness of the KTM. I will go to the 45 pilot right away. Then do some plug chops and get the main jet dialed in. Is there a trick to seating the slide? I remember reading some earlier post of folks engines reving suddenly from not fully seating the slide assembly?

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
hey lew the trick is to get the little white plastic guide thing in there correctly. it has a notch, just be careful with it & you'll see it no problem. ps i think your 250 exc & your kdx weigh about the same. enjoy!

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
thanks lawman, I will pay attention to the notch.
On another note the stock needle is N3CH, what performance changes would I expect from the N3CW needle that was provided with the bike
Lew

greeneb

Jan 15, 2000
The only difference in the N3CH and the N3CW is the straight diameter.... the CW is a little larger which would lean out ~ 0 to 1/8 throttle.

Eric

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
2 sroke version jetting.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Well I changed the pilot yesterday to 45, moved the clip up one slot which placed it in mid clip position, stayed with the N3CH needle, a/s at 1.25. Did some testing on my property and it seemed quite a bit snappier. Will ride again this weekend and do some plug chops for the main jet. I have a feeling I will prolly lean to at least 180. Ride mostly 3-5000 feet.
Lew

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom