tightwoods

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 23, 2000
I'm a first time KTM owner but decided to take a chance on orange.
Like Tony the Tiger sez - "It's GRRRRRRRREEEEEEEAAAAAAAATE!!!!
Ergos perfect for taller rider - I put the factory tall seat on which has a less comfortable cross section shape than stock but I stand a lot so it doesn't really bother me. Geared a bit too tall for around here (North Central PA) - will go up 2 teeth on rear. 2nd gear is too tall for steep climbs and tight twisties - had to slip clutch too much. Then, because of wide ratio tranny, 1st would be too low/slow. Will do 90 mph in 6 gear no problem. With larger rear can use 2, 3, 4 to advantage and 1st will be even better for trials stuff. Stock bars are awesome but too wide. Can only remove ~ 3/8" each end before perches hit bend - NFG! I've got to find a bar that will let me cut down to at least 28" bare. After adding grips and bark busters you're back to ~ 29.5". Does anybody know of any mfgs who have this? Moose has a Burleson bend that is supposed to be 30" stock but I don't know how much more can be cut down and still allow proper controls mounting. I didn't have time to touch /set up suspension. Felt OK but was very stiff. Front wheel was ricocheting off roots and small rocks - very tiring. Guys riding behind me said bike was bouncing all over the place - looked hard to control. It was but bike kept tracking forward regardless - instant self correction to stability very evident. After a tough, technical ride on Sunday (I couldn't get undressed/dressed/out of bed without wife's help I was sooooooooo sore!!! Beer and ibuprofen didn't help), one of the guys who has a 400 EXC rode it. Said suspension way too stiff. All suspension issues very easily correctable. Cornering is very precise with good feedback. Doesn't under steer in tight stuff like I was expecting - definite plus. No need to change triple clamps. Powerband is nirvana - ultra smooth response right off idle. Strong, smooth, controllable pull to high rpm. Can leave it pinned if don't feel like shifting but seems to work better if use torque and short shift. No tiring power hit whatsoever. Very quiet stock muffler is a keeper . Anybody who wants more power should get the 525 and leave muffler stock. Less sound = more ground. Perfect power delivery for my terrain and off road riding in general. Wouldn't want the 525! Jetting is probably too lean but will fix that easily. Brakes are excellent. Rear needs some adjusting - too much pedal travel before any response. Front is truly amazing - progressive feel and power. On steep downhills where XR600 lever would be buried to grip, KTM will put me over bars! Hydraulic clutch is easily 1 finger and doesn't fade or go out of adjustment. Engineering, fit/finish excellent. Overall package is wonderful. I had some doubts but not any more.

:thumb:

Last edited:

Greg

Feb 20, 2000
If you're looking for bars that will fit through tight woods and everything hang on them take a look at the tag mini bars. I had a set on my 300 and loved them. I'm 6'3" and the mini bars are a lot taller than regular bars and are about 28" wide without cutting. Everything goes on good except bark busters might have to be cut down some. A friend of mine has them on his KX250 and loves them. I have not yet put a set on my 520 but probably will. If I rode strictly enduros or trailrides it's the only way to go. The guy that bought my 300 from me swore that would be the first thing he was going to change. After riding about 3 enduros they are still on and he swears by them.

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Good report tw, the Moose Burleson bars are GREAT. Tall and narrow. I stand all the time, about 5'10", and the bars are very comfortable. They probably wouldn't work for someone who sits alot. My suspension feels really good after the first 150 miles of heavy woods riding in Trask. Mid stroke harsh on the forks but can fix that with clickers and oil, I bottomed the forks a couple of times but no clanking. And that's with the stock clicker settings so I think a can make them nice and cushy. The #2 spring in the rear is good for my weight(170lbs) but I might try a #3 anyway. Good luck!

cody12

Aug 3, 2002
Got mine last monday, some impressions. Totally agree on rear brake, has anyone "topped off" their rear brake fluid? My neutral was originally very hard to find, any comments? suspension is very stiff as well, will play with clickers, any suggestions, 170-75 LB intermediate rider. anything else?

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Hi Cody, my suggestion for suspension is to leave it alone for a while and let them run in. Play with the clickers all you want but things WILL change after the springs settle and the internals smooth out. Your weight should be just right for the stock spring rates front and rear. Make sure you've set the proper race sag and check it again in another 200 miles/3 tanks. Good luck!

Garyb

Jul 20, 2000
Tightwoods - what jetting are you running ? I have the optional tall KTM seat as well...it really does encourage standing because its so hard ! Iam 6'3" and had the tag cr double high T2 bars on my 250..very nice.

tightwoods

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 23, 2000
Originally posted by Garyb
Tightwoods - what jetting are you running ? I have the optional tall KTM seat as well...it really does encourage standing because its so hard ! Iam 6'3" and had the tag cr double high T2 bars on my 250..very nice.

Garyb - Jetting is bone stock, whatever that is. Riding elevation 1,000 - 2,000 feet. Bike has only 75 miles on it. I'll post what I come up with as soon as I have time to analyze and re-jet (I'm in the middle of building/moving into a new house and don't have time right now to ride or add to my original post). I'm 6'-0", 170 lbs. in the buff, A-level rider. I like the height of the stock bars. If nobody offers bars that can be cut down properly maybe I'll just have to market them myself. The seat hardness (KTM seems determined to not change this) doesn't bother me as much as the crappy tall seat profile. I don't see why KTM couldn't keep the stock profile (very comfortable) and just make the foam taller - it's very easy to do. Is anyone at KTM listening?

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Garyb-It's RAINING! Whooppee! Maybe we can actually go outside and ride our new bikes instead of talking about them!
I bought a tall seat from Moose/SDG, the profile is good and comfy but it's only about a quarter inch taller than stock.
I spoke to the rider rep at FMF, they're redesigning the Q mufflers for the RFS. They should be done in +/- two months. As long is it offers the same dB level and performance of the stock one it's worth the 3lb. weight loss. The stock one is hard to beat for stealth but it's so darn heavy.
After last weeks ride I'm switching to 14/50 like I had on the last 520. Stock is a little too tall in 2nd and 3rd gear, not to mention 6th!
Does anyone make a longer rear brake master cylinder push rod? I like my pedal really high and I've almost topped out the threads. I guess I could add some weld, grind, polish for a few millimeters more.
Tightwoods, the Burleson bars I spoke of are already cut to 30" and my controls fit well WITH barkbusters. They are taller than stock, though. The Magura bars had very little sweep to them and tweaked my forearms in a weird way, like doing pull-ups on a straight bar.
Has the steering geometry been changed this year? My dealer says yes and others say no but I know that this bike turns REALLY well compared to my last one.
I don't like the odo, can't read it while riding, it's at the wrong angle. My enduro comp is much easier and less complicated.
BTW, sold the horrible stock B-stones for fifty bucks before I even rode it.

Garyb

Jul 20, 2000
Yeah TW - the things like a razor blade, have to keep the butt cheeks clenched, not a problem for me :scream:
Endo, its drizzling here - not enough to get the fire levels raised....have to do the rain dance again tonight. In the meantime Iam wearing out the threads on my carb clamps trying all kinds of jetting combos. My yard looks like its been run over by a herd of Elephants :thumb:
Hopefully it will rain in Roseburg before the monkeybutt.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I got too ride one this past weekend, didn't get on it (it is my freinds 1st new bike and the 1st ride on it) but i did twist the throttle about 1/2 way and it came alive!! Seat is WAY too hard, definately have to clench the cheeks shut.. Hmmmmm Maybe in a year or two it will be a thumper for me :eek:
Rick

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
I hope the weather breaks soon for you guys. This bike is just too cool to let it set in the garage. I've had mine for about a month now and I love it! The seat is the only complaint, but I hate to even complain about that because the ergos are sooo good. I've thought about changing the seat foam but I like the way this one allows me to slide around. Actually I find myself standing up a lot more these days, which is a good thing. I find this bike very easy to ride in all types of terrain. I haven't had it on an MX track yet but that's not what I bought it for. The gearing seemed a little too tall when I first got it but now I like it that way. I ride some single track woods trails that keep you bouncing off of the trees even at a crawl and the gearing still doesn't bother me. Instead I have found that stuff I used to ride in second is some times easier to ride in first now. I went riding with four other guys last weekend (wr400, kx500, kx250, yz250) There was one hill imparticular that is virtually straight up and down and you ramp off of the top. Everyone else was taking it in second but I found I made it easier in first although I could climb it in second also. This is the type of hill that almost no one will make every time. To be fair the gearing could be played with but it didn't take me long to get used to it. At any rate I find this to be an awesome ride, dare I say the best I've ever had? You bet ya!! KTM RULES!!!

By the way my buddy with the WR couldn't believe how light the 450exc felt. He thinks it feels as light as my 200exc did. I'm not sure about that but it isn't far from it. The 200 was a killer woods bike, yet I find the 450 even more impressive.

Neal

Last edited:

tightwoods

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 23, 2000
Originally posted by endoquest

Does anyone make a longer rear brake master cylinder push rod? I like my pedal really high and I've almost topped out the threads. I guess I could add some weld, grind, polish for a few millimeters more.

EQ - I machined one from high strength alloy steel (grade 8 or better). It works great. If you want one put a message in my mailbox.

tightwoods

manwhore

Oct 14, 2002
ive had my 450 for 5 weeks and rekon its a big improvement on my 400 which i had before suspension is hard but i baked it of a couple of clicks and it feels perfect now

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom