hadleycat

Feb 12, 2006
I am going thru my bike this winter. I have already added a FMF fatty and power core silencer. Anyone out there know of the best mods to broaden the powerband on this bike. I ride motocross (baja mx, freelin) tracks here in mich. Thanks for your time.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
vforce3 worked well for me,

where in mi are you?? brighton here

my favorite track so far is log rd. but my regular hangout is link here

john3_16

May 17, 2004
Port job from Eric Gorr will be the most effective mod...You can buy all the pipes, silencers, reeds, and other gadgets and the result will be less than the total sum of a good port job. Even with the stock pipe and silencer.

Oct 29, 2004
if i were you i would send it to terry varner.the man knows what hes doing .my 03 cr250 has alot of power and more to spare.well worth the xtra money.my 2cents

hadleycat

Feb 12, 2006
ellandoh , i am from metamora mi. 25 miles north of auburn hills. that place in rose city looks very cool thanks for the tip. john 3_16 will i need to run race gas with the port job. Thanks for your help guys!

john3_16

May 17, 2004
Hi hadleycat...You can have him set it up for use with pump gas or race gas...The race gas setup will yield more gains than the pump gas setup because of the higher compression....However, I'm pretty sure the pump gas setup will produce excellent results as well.

You can give Eric a call and he can give you a much better answer than I can...He's very helpful and I've been very impressed with the improved performance that he got out of my 03' CR250...Very strong.

skipn8r

Mar 10, 2004
hadleycat said:
best mods to broaden the powerband on this bike.
Porting by a competent tuner (Eric Gorr, Wes Gilbert and others). Be careful to describe in writing exactly what you don't like and how you want to change it. Be sure to ask questions about how pump versus race gas infuences the outcome.

hadleycat

Feb 12, 2006
I have got a fresh top end in the bike. For economic reasons I think I will hold off on the porting until I rebuild the top end next winter. I beleive that I need fresh piston and rings after eric works his magic on the motor. I am going to put in the v force 3 this spring since it is time to replace reeds anyways. With a family I have to budget my motorcycle expenses. keeping up on maintenance alone can get expensive. The bike has plenty of power it is just concentrated into a narrow rpm range and requires alot of shifting. It can catchg me by surprise when I hit the meat of the powerband just as iam on the lip of a jump. As of now I run 94 pump gas and would like to stick with it. What I would really enjoy is a smoother powerband. I have asmall track behind my house with a 40' tabletop and a 60' triple. I enjoy honing my skills here in my free time.

Sandy Whoops

Oct 11, 2003
EG porting! Unless you HAVE to replace the reeds, I'd put the money in the bank until you can get Eric to port it. Also consider getting JD's jetting kit instead of the V3 - Honda's needles for our vintage 250s really suck!
Now, I've got nothing against the V3. Probably buy one myself...one day. I just think you'll get a better bang for the buck with porting and proper carb setup. These 2 items are where Honda really screwed up our CRs.

SQUIRLEYMOFO

Jun 11, 2002
The two biggest improvements I've made: 50 tooth rear sprocket, PWK carb. I have a Varner ported cylinder for my next project......I also like the PC shorty silencer.

Top Bottom