SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
Hey everybody. My bike seems to have a small slow leak at the front sprocket shaft. Its very minimal and only happens when my bike sits(which due to work is all the time! :yell:
I don't have a bike stand, just the 'ol triangle, therefore, it's always leaning to that side for a good period of time(i need a stand, I know). Would that cause the leak? Do I need to take the motor apart and replace the seal? I hate to have to, because once in there I'll wanna replace stuff with new stuff that I can't afford, and don't wanna be out of comission. Just wondered if the bike always leaning to that side could be causing this. Thanks in advance for you help.

I pulled the sprocket off and built a crappy stand out of wood to hold it straight and placed a paper towel on the frame to see it the leak persists.

edit....what's involved in fixing the problem?

again, Thanks.
Matt McGuyer

Last edited:

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
The leak is not from using a triangle. It may cause it to leak more than if on a stand but is not the root of the problem.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I think the seal on the countershaft is on the outside of the case behind the sprocket, so it's an easy fix (if this is the issue).

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
That's gotta be it. I'm hoping it is. time to buy the repair manual and get to work.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Also, when you replace that seal, which doesn't require the engine to be torn down, replace the metal spacer and two o-rings.

That should fix the problem..

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
It may have just wound some debris up into the seal. No manual? Look at a parts micro fiche and rip them parts off, clean and inspect? Has the chain ever been bound up on the countershaft? No old jb weld repairs?

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
nope. none of the above. I'm gonna get a manual soon, when I have time to actually fix it. Hell....my new job leaves me NO time to ride....SUCKS! Thanks gents!

Top Bottom