Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
I have an 03 CR 250 that is in like new condition. It has seen very little use. Since I live in the tight woods of NE, I'm wondering what the best woods mods be? I'm thinking off the bat a flywheel weight, kickstand......gearing, Not sure what combo........I'm sure there are jetting recommendations as well.........the thing rips pretty good in sand pits but it needs some taming for trail use.......I already have a full skid plate and handguards. Also, how does the flywheel weight attach..........do you need to remove the crankshaft bolt on stock flywheel or does it go on the 2 tapped holes in existing flywheel. I would imagine softening the clickers would help also.......rear sag is already at about 2 1/2-3"........

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
Steering damper - it's saved me from a number of major wrecks in the woods. I run an 8 oz steahly weight on my 04 cr250. To install it you remove the bolt on the flywheel, screw the weight on and install their bolt. I run my gearing at 13/50 for tight Michigan woods. If your riding distances warrant it a larger tank is a good addition too.

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
Thanks guys

The bike already has rad guards on it, handguards and skid plate. I guess I just got to add the flywheel weight and change the gearing. Maybe a pipe later. Do you use a kickstand? I think I've seen some really nice, lightweight stands for the CR. I think a Scotts damper would be 1/4 the total value of the bike........lol.............. I've had them before on street bikes.........they are really nice........thanks again!

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I think the kickstand is a great idea for trail riding. If something goes wrong, it's nice to be able to fix it without laying you bike over or propping your bike against a tree or rock. You'll never notice the extra weight and there are just sometimes on a long long trial, I want to stop and rest a bit.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
i have an 02.

kickstands are great for the woods, i welded one on to my swingarm but trailtech and a couplke others, make really nice bolt on deals. personally all my bikes i use for trails HAVE to have lighting. i love night riding so i got an eline external and a baja designs 8" round headlight. the eline uses an 11oz (i think) magnet, flywheel weight.

revalving the shocks are handy but unless your out there to rip, its probably not worth the $$

hi-cap tank is also nice to have on the long hauls

dampers are great for the woods but like you said, very pricey

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
im a little unsurw about flywheel weight, does it just add more weight and because of inertia the crankshaft spins better in lower rpms?

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
84cr125 said:
im a little unsurw about flywheel weight, does it just add more weight and because of inertia the crankshaft spins better in lower rpms?

yup, just more rotating mass, makes the engine rev a little slower for better traction. makes it a lot harder to stall in the tight turns too

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
Yeah, at my age.........I have to stop and water the lilies a lot.........and there is never a tree around to lean it against when you need one.........lol.................

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
The best kickstand I've found is from Pro Moto Billet - http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=805c582c1b8c957757effd28d553be92 . But I warn you it's not cheap and based on your above comment probably too high. On the steering damper I consider it a safety item. Mine has saved me a few times where there's a good chance I would have ended up in the ER - the damper was far cheaper. I've always run dampers on my street bikes and wasn't convinced I needed one on the dirt bike until I had one - now I would live without one on my street bike WAY before I'd go without one on my dirt bike.

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
You can get Scotts dampers on the auction site for about $400. I'd spend $400 on the damper way before I'd spend $150 on the side stand.

psycho

King Rot-Gut
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2000
I also run an '03 CR250 in the trees. I added the 8oz flywheel weight and that helped keep from stalling it at low speeds (and lazy clutch). I also added the Scott's Steering Stab. and it has saved my bacon more than once in the rocks/sand. Another addition was the oversized tank since the stock one would barely make it 25 miles. Somce good gaurds on the rear brake cylinder and caliper and cheap insurance as is a good rotor guard. We run alot of rocks during enduros so I felt those were worth the cash. Other than that some suspension setup (time with the clickers) and ride it the heck out of it. Have fun with it.

Top Bottom