Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
From the moment I started my 03 CR250 today the idle was much higher than what it was / should be. I have done nothing to the bike other than wash it off and clean the filter since when I rode it last week. Same track, same weather, etc. What would have changed the idle? I could adjust it down but I wanted to find a reason why before I went about correcting it.

Thanks, Walt

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
check to make sure there is at least a little slack in the throttle cable...you should be able to wiggle the throttle and feel it.  Otherwise, if you move the handlebars around lock to lock while it is running, does the engine speed change?

a long shot: do you have a plugged carb vent hose?

pro2k

Nov 7, 2002
Maybe it was the air filter? ( too much oil or dirty the first time) Maybe it sucked up some of that oil and clogged the carb? My 2003 cr wouldn't idle at all. As soon as you came to a stop or coasted theengine died.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
There must be a reason because my 03cr250 never idled either. There must be some dirt in the throttle housing. Hope it's no worse than this. An air leak would do the same but not as consistent as if you just increased the idle on tyhe carb.

Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
Could it be if I screwed up the oil ratio? I may have put in the oil twice on my most recent batch of gas. I think I put it in before and after I went to get gas. If I did that I think it would run poorly with too much oil and smoke alot. Would the idle speed up if I did that?

The filter is cleaned the way I always I do it, the breather lines are all clean, no air leaks that I can tell.

Thanks,

Walt

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
If you put more oil in than you usually do, that would effectively lean out out the fuel/air mixture and cause what you are describing.
Luckily it is an easy thing to rule out, drain the tank and carb (just to make sure there isn't any water/crap in there.) mix up a fresh batch and try it again. If that doesn't do the trick, the next step would be to clean your carb.
We can go from there.

CRPilot

~SPONSOR~
Apr 5, 2000
I had a similar problem this weekend. It turned out that when I washed it I must have tugged on the thottle cable and it was not 100% seated at the throttle tube end (where the cable passed through the rubber seal). I simply pushed the cable into the housing and the idle returned to normal.

Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
The oil was the problem. I must have put the premix in on the way to the gas station and after I got home. I screwed up my bike, my sons bike and the go-ped we use to get around the pits. I drained everything out and started over again with new plugs. Life is now good.

So what do I do with 5 gallons of screwed up pre-mix? You can't dump it down the drain. Any suggestions?

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
1.  lawnmower or weed whacker

or...

2. put it in your car or truck, if you are worried about the extra oil hurting something then just add a gallon or so to a nearly full tank.  the oil will be so diluted it won't hurt anything.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom