skipn8r

Mar 10, 2004
Before I bought my '03, I read articles stating that the 1-2 shift is difficult under power. This past weekend, I was practicing starts and yep; it didn't seem to want to shift 1-2 under power without a couple of tries; and I was using the clutch. I'm running Pro Honda HP trans oil at about 50 cc more than recommended. Does anybody know of a cause, a mod or a fix for the obstinate 1-2 shift?

On a related note, I've noticed that as the clutch heats it really seems to drag a lot more than when it's cold. Is this a characteristic of aluminum clutch plates?

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i don't know how to fix the problem but i will say that you are wasting your time practicing first gear starts. start in second.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
Yeah, there's no need to start in 1rst gear, not even on a 125...

2nd to 3rd can be difficult under power as well...The problem is not the oil you're using either...

The key is to shift before the revs get too high....Which means that as soon as you make it a couple of feet past the gate you should be grabbing 3rd gear....2nd gear should serve only to launch you out of the hole and not much longer after that unless you have taller gearing.

Top Bottom