03 CRF 450 - Chain Rubbing on Tire

RedThumper

Feb 29, 2004
I'm hoping someone can provide me with some advice. After about 6 months of riding on the stock chain and sprockets I noticed that the chain was beginning to rub on the rear tire, even though I had adjusted it within spec. several times. I talked to the dealer where I bought it from and they suggested that the stock chain was probably worn and that it was probably causing a lot of lateral movemoment in the chain. I replaced the stock chain (and sprockets) with a Renthal R3 O-ring. I'm still having the same problem with the new chain rubbing against the tire even though it is properly adjusted. Does anyone have any advice they could offer??? What would be causing so much lateral movement in the chain???

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Assuming your rear wheel is lined up straight in your swingarm, I would check your rear wheel bearings and also your swingarm bearings. Thats all I can think of, maybe someone else with a crf will have more ideas.

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
Mine has rubbed on my 04'CRF 450 from day one. I'm beginning to wonder if the new style tires have the knobbies wider these days.

LaRider20

Top Bottom