mikromo

Jul 6, 2000
Some backround. It took me a long time to convince myself that I could do any better on something newer than my trusty 99 200exc, but I finally sprung for an 03 ( hard to beat 6 mo same as cash ). Before I even rode it I resprung for my weight and changed the 48t rear sprokett for a 46t, plus added cf skid plate, pipe guard, front rotor guard, rear shark fin, seal savers, slave cylinder guard, and traded my tires with my dealer for my personal favorites, Michelin S-12's :thumb: . 1st ride, rocky, rooty, & slimy conditions. Very impressed, its apparent that the've come a way since 99. suspention is firm, but plush, clickers out 4-6 clicks from stock. This thing may not be any faster, but it feels quicker than my 99, still lugs down well, which is good for my style of riding( I'm a medium fast "C" rider ). 2nd ride, midwest extreme park, Merwin Mo.. This is what I consider my home track, with a great MX track, and a 6 mile hare scramble loop thats pretty fast. I did'nt think the 03 was so great here, and I probably could have lapped faster on the 99. One thing for sure, the 03 sure will turn inside the 99, and anything else I've ever ridden. Again, this thing is a great wheelie bike, easy to shift up and not drop the front. 3rd ride, S & S cycle park KCK. This is the same place as my 1st ride, and again I felt that the 03 was far better here. Maybe I was having an off day at Merwin, I don't know. I felt far more confident on ride 3. I've got a hare scramble at Carbondale Ks. Sunday, so that should tell the true tale of the new bikes plus and minuses. It will be its 1st competition( last race of the year ). If anyone is interested I'll post with any additional comments. All in all, I like the 03 alot, but its going to take some getting used to. See ya, M.R. :thumb:

RanMan

May 22, 2002
Yea, more reports would be great. I just brought home my new '02 200 EXC last night. haven't had a chance to ride it yet (except a coiuple trips down the driveway). I was beaten between the 200 and 300. On my first short ride I was really suprised on how much low end this thing had. Not as much as my 4 stroke, but still more than I expected. Being that it rained all day delayed my riding, but gave me a chance to go through and locktite all necassary bolts. Gonna try to get a tank or 2 through it before Dec. 1, which is my next race) so I can see what it has hidden. Oh man, this thing is light too. That was the main selling point to me when shopping. Nice to know I can bring it home from dealer ready to race without having to do any mods. I'm not against mods, but keeping two people racing and upkeep and maintenance on 4 bikes, pocket doesn't allow very many mods. Anyway, keep us informed on your reports.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I wonder how much difference there is between my 01, and you guys 02 and 03?

mikromo

Jul 6, 2000
In my riding circle, there are quite a few 01 & 02 200's, firecracker22, and the 03's are much thinner at the tank seat junction, have a larger diameter fork and front axel, and an electronic trip meter & speedo. As for my race yesterday: many mental mistakes by yours truely pretty much spoiled an hope for a win, but as always a day racing is a good day in my book. The 03 performed flawlessly on its 1st race outing, and I expect to adapt to it quite well. Man the thing doesnt lack for power, although I can't say its any faster, but it sure likes to loft the front when it comes on the pipe ( nearly looped it a couple of times ). It, as always with the 200's has a great low end, and slogs along throuth the tight stuff, extremely well. The handling is just superb, and much quicker steering than my 99. I'm not sure but I think the 01 & 02's are similar, as to steering. Anyhow, I'm well pleased and expect to keep this bike for at lest 3 - 4 years. Also my 14 year old is keeping the 99 ( YAHOO ) so we're now an all KTM family.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
the 03 has a differant steering head angle then the 01-02 models
so it steers a little better also the the stock gearing works great
compared to the 99 models

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom