03 KTM Jr 50 carb/governor question

chris121277

Sep 2, 2009
I bought my son this bike a few months back and have noticed that when you first start it, it has about 4 times as much jam as it does once it has warmed up.
I'm thinking this might be a choke issue but not sure, any suggestions on were to start?

Also are there any governors on these things? something I can do to give it a little more jam for him? It's the automatic model and seems to be fine for him on flat ground but sometimes if he doesn't hit a hill hard enough the thing will just stop moving half way up.

Again any suggestions would be appreciated

Chris

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I believe Costco sells large jars of jam, both strawberry & grape were available this weekend when I was there. Not sure what you think t's going to do for a bike though.

My son's KTM did not have any kind of limiter on it. Might look at the clutch assy to see if it is properly engaging. If it is then it may be time for a top end. Jam won't help you out of that jam though.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I guess it sort of depends on how you are determining that it has 4 time more power at cold than when hot. Are you riding it?

chris121277

Sep 2, 2009
Yes....well I've taken it for a little spin when it has only ran for a few mins the after my son has rod it for an hour or so.

There is a very noticeable difference

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
When was the last time the rings were replaced?
How about the piston?
When was the crank replaced?
How many hours are on these parts?
In my experience most issues of power loss come down to a lack of maintenance and / or improperly performed maintenance. These are mechanincal toys, things wear over time. Think about it that bike might make 6hp when it's fresh, every little bit counts when a 15% drop is 1 hp.

chris121277

Sep 2, 2009
We only bought it a few months ago.....so no idea when and if thows part were ever replaced.
But wouldn't it mean a carb issue if the power is there when its "colder"

I am planing on doing a compression test this week end to find out the condition of the top end.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…