Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I currently have a 96 KDX 200 (and I love it). I have, however the opportunity to pick up an 03 KX250 very cheap. I'm not real fast but love to try and go fast, 170lbs. 5ft. 10in. and would say I have decent skill.

The KDX I have is great, but I know the KX would have more power.
Anyone ride the 03 KX 250 in woods & MX.
how's the motor feel and suspension for each condition? Is it an easy to ride 2-stroke or one that takes skill to make it work like it should? Does it corner well? And is it a heavy feel or light? Thanks

jruggery

Apr 6, 2003
Midhigh,

This probably doesn't answer your question, but my situation is identical to
yours. I have an '02 KDX that I'm going to sell because I just bought an
'03 KX 250 that I got a killer deal on from Motorcycle Brokers, ($3900 +
$200 shipping for a brand new bike). I'm also 5'10" and 170, Vet C in
ability in harescrambles.

I probably won't ride the bike for a couple of months because we're under
some snow here and I'm too much of a wuss to ride when it's cold. But just
from comparing the bikes side-by-side, the KX is a lot lighter than the KDX
although it's a pain to get on the stand due to the lack of that convenient
KDX handhold. It's also way thinner through the midsection, and you can sit
all the way at the front because there's no ski slope KDX tank in the way.

I realize that there's going to be an adjustment period to it, but I believe
that the bike can be made to work in the woods or I wouldn't have bought it.
I'm planning on adding handguards then riding it before deciding what else
it needs (probably a flywheel weight, maybe a pipe). Look at it this way,
Kawasaki's off-road guys can probably ride whatever they go the fastest on,
and you don't see Fred Andrews or Chuck Woodford on KDX's.

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
The KX is light years ahead of the KDX in suspension, motor, ergo's, and geometry. The bike will feel light and do everything better except going slow. You might want to add a fly wheel weight and try a different pipe to smooth out the power. You would also want to add some guards and possibly a bigger gas tank. I also would recommend a electronic Odometer/Speedometer.
The KDX is a good bike but it has it limitations, I know that some people on this forum would take offense to that but it doesn't make it less true.
I have recommended KDX's to friends and family at a beginner level, but if you want to pick up the pace you are going to struggle with the KDX in some areas.

BPJNT

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2001
jruggery,

No question just trying to sell MYSELF on the 03' KX 250. All help would be appreciated.

I live near Greensburg (Canonsburg) and also have an 02' KDX 200, but am looking at buying 03' KX 250, 6 months old for $3,400. I love my KDX, though slightly tall for me being only 5'7" 155 (Intermediatte), the KDX has a Race Tech suspension, front/rear, FMF Gnarly Desert pipe, w/ TCII and on and on w/ the mods. Every time I get on the KDX I love it, but still want more. I am thinking of buying the KX for the MX suspension, smoother powerband than other 250's and great look, if that's even valid. I ride 50/50 track/woods and would like to ride in a H/S event this summer for FUN only, since I'm not a good enough rider to compete.

Also, there is an interesting article in the new Dirt Rider or Dirt Bike mag. that compares the 250 2 strokes for woods riding. It says the KX is slightly weak on power, but with that said makes a good woods bike because of it, the power is smooth compared to the hit on the CR/RM.

"jruggery" send me an email @ hritsko@pulsenet.com and maybe we can hook up and ride.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
I love mine- fork revalve (mid to check), skid plate, pipe guard, stiffer rear spring (I weigh 170 and am more mx than woods, you'd be fine with stock spring awhile if you are more woods), slid forks up a little so it turns in tighter, Maxxis IT's, 120 in rear, a huge improvement in woods, jetted a little leaner, FMF Q series, works great. Got a 12t sprocket last week, putting it on tonite, for better perf in tight trails I like. Oh, and just put on pro taper last nite.

It works great, you will love it. Carves through the trees at speed like nobody's business, great susp, great brakes, mid range hits strong but not real hard, so it's controllable. Got mine at NAMB, $4099 delivered, great deal.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Great- I did lots of due diligence first. BBB check, then hired attorney to do background check on corp and its principal officers. Came up clean. Very good folks to deal with. Wired the $, very easy. Took about 1 and a half or maybe 2 weeks once I wired the $.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
I fell in love with an 03 kx that was a factory riders bike.
It had ohlins front and rear, 18 rw, a good smooth port job, renthal fat bars, hebo clutch, and just enough flywheel. The bike was truely great. I was trying to sell one of my GasGas 300s to get it. It felt better than anything my rears ben on. He also raced mx but its a pros enduro bike. I think that its all about the way its set up. I loved that bike. Everything else I ride Im gonna compare to it until I get there. Smoother than my gg300 and they are pretty smooth. Ill give you a comparo once I get my suspension redone.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
I rode my KX with a 12t instead of stock 13t this afternoon. Whole different bike. Gears much closer, 1st and even 2nd useable with minimal clutch slippage in my tightest trails (I mean REAL tight), could approach BIG logs and pop over with virtually no clutching. :) And it was fun to run 1st to 5th wfo powershifting on a 5' wide woods trail straightaway as fast as my foot could shift with no bog. Sorta like the feel of a REAL strong automatic trans car with a shift kit- all acceleration, no bogs, gaps or flat spots. Just constant powerband. Sweet! And a little cheaper than an E Gorr 310. ;)

NWMyers#5

Jan 23, 2004
JRuggery How was your experience with Motorcycle Brokers. I am thinking very seriously about making a purchase with them.. Any words of advice?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom