CRkev

Mar 19, 2004
I just went and picked up an 03 kx 500 in really good shape today. It's pinging pretty badly though. surges pretty hard. I test rode a junky 86 kx 500 last week and that sucker would scream! Couldn't hardly even give it gas in all 5 gears without the front end coming up super easy. This one is NOWHERE near as strong. It has a new piston in it pretty recently. He showed me the old one which looked pretty good, just a little ring wear. He did say that he mixes the oil pretty heavy in it. It's an older guy, i think he said 52. He gave me his gas jug and I poured the gallon or so out of it in the bike when i got home. After riding it at home there was a good bit of oil on the swing arm from the pipe. It didnt ping when I rode it up the street and back at his house and it didn't get any oil on the swing arm. I'm wondering if that gas that was in the jug had alot more oil in it than what was in the bikes tank at his house. I need to check the plug but it started getting stormy so I put the bike up. Any advice is appreciated. I'm new to the 500. I've been riding a 99 cr 250 since about 03 or so. thanks!

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
All the big 2 stroke engines will make a noticable pinging sound especially when putting around or blipping the throttle off idle. If the motor is struggling to make power there are many things to look at but i would start with fresh premium gas and recommended oil. :ride:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Surge means lean to me. The ping could be detonation or normal. Really poor fuel could do both, but? Either way would require looking at the plug to verify. I know, the labor involved is staggering!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Surging and pinging is usually a sign of a lean condition. Lean on a 2-stroke is bad (less lubrication). I'd richen it up a bit.

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
If it ran well at his house then you have trouble on the new tank of fuel you need to dump the troublesome fuel and start with fresh highest octane pump fuel available with good quality oil not oxygenated pump gas (no ethanol methanol additive if possible). If pinging is still happening then a careful and thourough carb clean and a tank flush is advisable.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
+1 for Pesky.
Dump the gas, flush the tank and carb and start from scratch with high octane gas with no ethanol and quality oil. And I'd probably mix it 20:1 or 28:1 because I find lot of oil makes more power and extremely long lasting top ends. Also, I'd go ahead and start with a new plug. Good idea to do a plug chop and check your jetting after you get it going again. Report back.

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Actually a K5 will surge when it is jetted correctly. It's one of their peculiarities. Check the chamber mount under the fuel tank, its prone to breaking and can make weird noises.

2strokerfun said:
I find lot of oil makes more power
:think:

Dale

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom