'03 KX100 tire advice, pipe advice....

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
My wifes KX100 is ready for new tires, any advice?
We ride mountain trails, and the desert in Idaho.
Stock tires: Bridgestone
Front 70/100-19 M61
Rear 90/100-16 M58

AND.....We would like to give it an aftermarket pipe, one that will enhance the bottom end and midrange.

Current mods are porting (for bottom end/torque), shaved cylinder, Boysen 2 stage reeds, and Turbine Core ll sparky.

ALL advice is greatly appreciated.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
for tires I much prefer the Dunlop 752 to the stock Bridgestones. Can't beat the price, either! Tires for this bike are like $30 each!

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Robert Reynard (Robbie's dad) did the porting and suspension on our 2002 KX100 we bought used. He told me the pipe that makes the most power for the KX100 is the stocker, though the silencer is very restrictive, so putting a shorty on helps greatly. He said the people who put the FMF pipe on do it for looks.

This bike is for my 14 year old son and we ride mostly woods. Any of you ever put a flywheel weight on your KX100? I just ordered a 10oz so and hope I made the right choice (vs. 12oz).

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Just installed it, along with a Utah Sport Cycles skidplate. I highly recommend both of these parts for the KX100 as they install and fit perfectly. Only rode the bike around the block but it feels so much smoother and still very responsive. I'll have to see how my son likes it when it stops raining here but I think it was money well spent.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Flywheel weight is my #1 mod for this bike IMHO. Really smooths out the bottom, lets it chug and lug up big hills, doesn't hurt top end when you hit those fire roads (may even smooth it). I've been waiting for my KTM 300's cylinder to come back from the plater, so I rode this bike at our club's family day the other day. I'm 5'8" and 175lbs and it was a hoot in the woods....some of the guys I rode with said I had an unfair advantage being on this bike!

I put a 10oz on it and have to wonder what a 12oz would have done, since the 10oz sure didn't hurt it anywhere. Glad I didn't go with the 8oz, though.

Top Bottom