sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
OK so I rebuilt my 03 kx125 and had some issues with heavy azz smoke (was the float hight) now I am wondering about the jet needle,, mine has a very sharp tapper as it drops diameter 9 mm from the end and stays very thin till the end....
I have never seen one like this and I think it may be worn down....

and it kinda reflects my power problems...it's kinda sputtery/bogging and nothing untill I get it wound out to the top..then sometimes it will hit a power surge.

I am looking to replace the jet needle and need help picking one that will work good w/ my base and head mod from Eric Gorr it was shaved at the bottom for more low end.

any other jetting suggestions welcome.

80-95 degrees
700- 2500ft
everything is stock now..40/420/ 2nd clip from top

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
well that what they call it in the parts unlimited catologe the jet needle (needle) and the needle jet (tube the needle goes into).

yes I have searched here and thumpertalk, which is peretty much wothless since they changed everything,
I just never had to purchase needles and have no idea what goes to what...

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
sr5bidder, is very common the needles to worn and develop a groove. usually it gives you a on/off feeling on small throttle openings.
more than likely the stock needle will work very good.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
http://servicehonda.com/look-up-parts/03

so I suspect the 16187g is the stock needle jet because it doesn't have the (option) beside it...

How do a cross that number over to the parts unlimited mikuni listings??

the dealer price is $25 and I can buy the needles through P.U for $6

I have lot of bikes to feed stuff like tires and chains so I need to spend wisely!

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
yes, how i do understand when it comes to get all bikes in shape... :pissed:

do they have a phone number? or try to e-mail them and ask... :cool:

by procircuit web site the needle is 6CHJ11-82
http://www.procircuit.com/jettingspecs.htm

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
hey thanks I was 6 windows deep and had run accross the PC site and written that number down for the needle earlier ...other 5 windows open in search of that needle.

going to try the 37.5 slow/400 main jet if I can find it today

I will try to get the the needle ordered.

I talked to Eric Gorr this am he suggested plug gap of 19 thousandths and to check the stator windings along with giving James Dean a call JD jetting

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
JD is a great resource for your jetting needs. There are also converters around so you can convert the OEM numbering system on your needle to keihin/mikuni numbers. If you are able, I would just go with JD.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
julien_d said:
JD is a great resource for your jetting needs. There are also converters around so you can convert the OEM numbering system on your needle to keihin/mikuni numbers. If you are able, I would just go with JD.

to me thats not spending wisely, though JD may have jetting down, for a 2 stroke it seems a little of my time is wisely spent sorting this..vs the $80

my wr250f may get the JD kit but I will try out some AP mods first as my only complaint is it falls on its face when wacking the throttle everyone keeps telling me you dont wack the throttle you roll it on???? not me???

anyhow I got the 37.5 and the 400 main in after work but I dont really want to run it on the road with brand new 745's but tomorrow I will have to because the few short runs up the yard, though it felt better, wasn't enough space to clear it out and attemp a power valve opening

seems the kx PV opens around 9-10 k instead of 6k like a kdx

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
The benefit of the JD kit is not in the "jet kit" but in the needles. His needles are custom ground for the application. A lot of time and research went into the development of those needles. THAT is what you're paying for when you buy the kit from JD.

Is this a Mikuni carb? With the 400 mj I'm guessing it is?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yep it's a mikuni tmx35x

I tried searching for needle charts last night and found little so far, I really need to take a trip on saturday so I can run this thing for more that 15 minutes and sort it out the smoke is really getting me wound up but I have to stay calm and realize I need to get out where I can keep it in the upper rpm's and ride it

I have to go 2hrs anyway I look at it so I may go to pretice copper state park they have alot of fire roads I can surely clear it out on..

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
JD I hit the jackpot!!!!

http://www.teamgreennews.ca/pdf/RS03-04e.pdf

explains everything I need to know about the jet needle !!!
I called the dealer and the part guy asked the mechanic and he called back and said the numbers have to do with the tapper, I then asked in what realation? wich one is leaner? and He could not say neither could the "mechanic"

I just found this and printed it..

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
ring just needed to set into cylinder needle is fine though I may go one size richer 6chj11-81 or 6chj10-80 for some more mirange punch.. right now is seems a bit hollow till it get to the top end surge... then again I can try the 4th clip pos.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
It might just be that way. I've been tweaking on this old yz125 forever. Replated cylinder, new piston, engine is solid, bike is pretty solid too. Kinda hollow and boggy until it hits the pipe, and then it's hang on! I gotta get some jets and needles for that thing too. The carb itself is kinda screwy. I'm thinking it might be dumping fuel around the pilot jet seat.

Nice to see you're making progress on it!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yep she handles extremly well and the wr250f is very fun we where riping through the woods faster than ever..the kx had brand new d745's front and back and when we swaped bikes and I took the wr250f w/ older kenda milville's I had to stop and check the tires, I thought the front was flat because of all the squireling around.

there where no tight turns at prentice cooper..

the kdx felt sooo much better with the swap from the 756 to the new 745 in the front too

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I think i'm using a 739 or something on the front of the KDX. Guy at the shop recommended it, probably because it was the only 21" front they had? Anyway, it sucks, lol. I liked my 756 better, even worn out. Gonna switch it out soon, not sure what I'll replace it with yet though.

Top Bottom