KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
It's been 6 years since my last linkage-type rear suspension and I can't remember...is there supposed to be play in the upper shock mount? I can grab the reservoir and rotate the whole shock just a little bit. Also, when the bike's on a stand, I can push down on the back end, and there's noticeable vertical play at the upper shock bolt. On my KTM PDS shocks, this would mean either the upper or lower heim bearing was bad. Has does this from the beginning on my KX (has about 20 hours of use).

Any thoughts?

VB Racing

~SPONSOR~
Jan 26, 2004
Yes, there is a bearing in the upper shock mount, and they do rotate slightly. :thumb:

AARONA

Apr 11, 2003
Shock Mount

KaTooMer said:
It's been 6 years since my last linkage-type rear suspension and I can't remember...is there supposed to be play in the upper shock mount? I can grab the reservoir and rotate the whole shock just a little bit. Also, when the bike's on a stand, I can push down on the back end, and there's noticeable vertical play at the upper shock bolt. On my KTM PDS shocks, this would mean either the upper or lower heim bearing was bad. Has does this from the beginning on my KX (has about 20 hours of use).

Any thoughts?

If you have the time, pull it down and grease the linkage and shock bearings. Pressure washing and regular wear seems to displace the grease on those shock mounts and the bearings always seem to develop a little play. Placing it on the stand and lifting the rear tire up and down while inspecting the linkage for movement might provide insight to what is moving as well. The bolt on my '03 KX250 that holds the lower linkage to the frame kept on coming loose until I lock tighted the nut. I thought it was my shock bearing, and when I was pulling it apart, found out otherwise. Check all the fastners on that suspension just to be safe.

Top Bottom