getndirty

Nov 23, 2007
Bought a KX65 for boy about a month ago, last time we took it out it was 68 degrees outside, the bike started and ran fine. Today we took it out and the temp was 55 out, bike started and ran fine today as well, for about 10 minutes.

Boy forgot to turn the choke off. We were riding a fire road at the park and he said it surged a little, then came back to life and then it died. Thought he fouled a plug, so I swapped that, the bike kicks, but won't start - no signs of life. Took it back to the truck and cleaned all the jets in the carb (used bike, thought I'd make sure). Still no signs of life.

Got it back to the shop (garage), pulled the carb and the intake boot for the carb, checked the reeds, they're brand new. Cylinder looks like it was replaced recently as well, so doubt there's any problem there. The cylinder is getting compression (thumb test), but don't know how much...and the guy we bought it from said he did the top end 3 short rides ago (2 hours ride time by his estimation and his son was losing interest).

Before I tear into the motor, does anyone have any suggestions? I have a tiny bit of 2-stroke experience from the early 80's, but not much that I remember...

Thanks,
Al

getndirty

Nov 23, 2007
RM85rider123 said:
could be the air intake, have you checked the air filter?

intake should be good, the boot is clean and the filter is brand new..

Someone else suggested wetting the plug with a little gas and seeing if it would start.

I'm getting a spark when I ground the plug and kick the bike over...not sure what a healthy spark looks like..

I'll pull the head and eyeball the piston and check the rings after I try the wet plug test.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
well if it was running fine before it was fouled from running with the choke on you could possibly have a ton of fuel in the bottom of the crankcase. turn fuel off. lift bike up so rear wheel is directly above front wheel dumping excess fuel out of crank case. with new plug installed hold wide open and kick....

Or put in second gear. let clutch out. push start bike with throttle wide open...just be ready for when it starts or your going for a ride.

its entirely possible something else is wrong but running fine with the choke on leads me to believe you have severley flooded the bike...seen it done many times..

mxracer2000

Jan 6, 2000
Thsi might sound like a dumb comment but it isnt intended to be. Did you check to make sure the gas was turned on? Seeing that it ran fine the first time out and you only got a few minutes the second time I would make sure there is gas flowing through at the petcock. Maybe some dirt/sludge in the tank got lodged in the valve. (worth a shot)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom