03 RM 125 Power Needed - Back again

Jonny Whyte

Jun 12, 2004
Hi everyone, I previously posted a thread about getting more power out of my RM 125 and I have been researching a lot, and I have asked the mechanic of one of our top race teams here in Northern Ireland and he has recomended that the best mods that their team found for the 03 RM 125 was and HGS Exhaust pipe, a gold VHM cylinder head and a flat top piston. This cost too much for me brand new, cause im only 15, so I have luckily enough found someone selling these parts second hand at under half the price of them new. He is also selling VForce Reed Valves, and we are thinking of getting them aswell, he said he noticed a difference with them but im not sure wether they are actually any better. What do you all think? Do you think the VForce Reeds are any good? Could any of you tell me wot they know about any of these mods. And if anyone has any dyno charts for the 03 RM 125 could the leave a link please, I cant find any anywere

Thanks

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Jonny a 2004 RM 125 is far better than a 2003 125 and you would be better advised to use the money to trade up, i tried a hgs pipe on the 04 rm125 and it made a big hole in the midrange,i cant tell you how the other mods will work.

Both bikes had been on the dyno for 3 days so were in a similar state of tune.

Attachments

• 2003 rm 125 vs 2004 modded both (Small).JPG
    2003 rm 125 vs 2004 modded both (Small).JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 474

Jonny Whyte

Jun 12, 2004
Unfortunatly I am not able to trade up for a 04, because we basically dont have the money to do it. Thats why I have to make the most out of what I got. Most of the money we are using to buy the parts is my own that I have saved up, thats why Im doing this much research into finding out whats actually worth bolting on to the bike. The guy who is selling the bits is also selling a doma exhaust and silencer, would that be any better. You havnt got the dyno charts for a HGS or a Doma exhaust system on the 03 RM 125 have you at all? If you have would you post it up it would be very much appreciated. :cool:

The VHM cylinder head I have found out has got several different inserts for altering the compression for different tracks.

Is there a big difference in the motor of the 04? Its just that would the exhaust have a different effect on the 04 motor compared to the 03? its just if there is then maybe there wouldn't be a drop in the midrange using the HGS on the 03.

Do you do tests on all the different bikes then?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Jonny, wish i could help more but i dont have much on a 2003 rm125, it was a bills pipe model and i dont know what parts were tested or used, i do know the 03 is a very different engine internally to the 04 and the 04 is alot easier to get power from.

The hgs pipe could have not worked well as it was for a 03 but so was the other aftermarket pipe and that worked well.

You wont get more power from the head but it could make it more reliable as they tend to detonate on the std heads.

So far out of the 05 bikes these have been tested

05 cr125, kx125,husky 125, rm 125 , yz 125

on the 250f only the yz and the cr have been tested and only the crf on the dyno.

450s only the tm i think.

As long as you are not spending the same to buy parts as to upgrade its worth a try ,but 04s are selling for as low as £2000 over here.

Jonny Whyte

Jun 12, 2004
Did you try a Doma Pipe on the 04 RM? as I said the guy is selling a doma pipe and silencer and would that be a better bet than the HGS?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Jonny Whyte said:
Did you try a Doma Pipe on the 04 RM? as I said the guy is selling a doma pipe and silencer and would that be a better bet than the HGS?

sorry only the hgs and the std and the 2c.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom