Rm100Rider

Jan 10, 2007
Well whats goin' on guys? Im new here, im in need of some suggestions.I recently had a ttr125l and sold it about a month ago, and yes i really miss it. Well i have a 2003 RM100 siting in my garage scince like july when one of my friends used the ratio and went through more plugs then i dont even know, for example he must of went through at least 3 plugs everyday riding this thing. Well over time i guess he siezed it and left it for me. Im thinking of rebuilding it. Im about to take the top of the cylindar head off to look at it.Do you guys think its worth it to rebuild it? I really miss riding and surely regret selling my ttr125. You guys know more then me, when you try to kick it over the kickstart does not go down,So any comments/suggestions on what i should do with it?
Let me know if you need any more info.. :cool:

Thanks again,Steve

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
it's worth a rebuild. Basically a yellow KX100.

it'll be a lot different ride than that TTR, though.

Rm100Rider

Jan 10, 2007
yea i know its diffrent,,rode it a few times,,gunna miss the 4 stroke. but im going to take the top of the head off to look at the piston,,anything to look out for? thnaks

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Those little 2 stroke 100's with a powervalve and 6 speed are awesome bikes. It's a heck of an upgrade to that TTR in every way (suspension, brakes, power, cooling, etc.).

Hopefully it seized before the bottom end (crank and rod bearings) failed. If so, you'll get off cheap and it's an easy, quick fix. Best recommendation is get a good shop manual for your bike so you have the right sequence of steps, torque values, etc. Eric Gorr's great book on offroad motorcycle maintenance and repair can also suffice for this task plus covers hop-ups, buying and selling used bikes, etc. Oh, and borrow, buy, or rent a decent torque wrench if you don't already have one since this is a must for engine work and a good idea for all bolts on your bike. Work in a clean place and keep parts organized as you take them off.

Rm100Rider

Jan 10, 2007
Well i dont have i torque wrench,, ithink my uncle has it,but like you said i might as well pick one up. But i got somewhat for of disassembling it, ill post pics of where i stopped

***Edit , Im not able to upload pics from imageshack.us
How should i post pics for you?
thanks

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Rm100Rider said:
Do you guys think its worth it to rebuild it?
No. You should sent it to me. ;)

Hopefully the previous owner did not break the piston skirt from a worn out piston. This could possibly crack the cases and the cylinder. This can be several hundred dollars to fix but depending what else is wrong with it, may still be worth fixing. You could always part it out.

Rm100Rider

Jan 10, 2007
lol, but i didnt get far enought to take the top of the cylinder off,,ran outta time,,im goin out with some friends,,but i have pictures like i said hoe how far i got just not sure how to get them on this site, its saying im posting one or more spam links..

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
You won't be able to post links for a bit until you have some more posts. This is to prevent the single post spammers and also to make sure you are safe to allow links.
Fixing that bike will be more then worth it in several areas
You wil learn alot about the motor
you will learn to appreciate and take care of it once it's running
best of all you will have an awesome bike when you finish it- be sure you are the new owner so your friend doesn't take it back

Rm100Rider

Jan 10, 2007
i understand about the whole spamming thing,, you will see it alot in other forums, but i wanna rebuild it, and i mean if he wants it back he can repay me the money i spent to rebuild and its all his,,that is if the bottem end isnt shot,

Rm100Rider

Jan 10, 2007
well i talked to my friend that owns it and he said he dosent care if i rebuild it and i can keep it most likely casue he just got a 700r so,,i think i want to but i had some problems today..

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
definetley worth rebuilding. probably just needs crank, crank bearings, and clinder replate along with a new piston. Actually nothing like the KX100 though. they shared technology in the 65's but not 85's or 100's. different power valve setup. suzuki uses internal ing rotor. Kaw has crank seal you replace from inside case halve. pretty different.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Jasle said:
Actually nothing like the KX100 though. they shared technology in the 65's but not 85's or 100's.
I'd beg to differ, but I've been proven wrong before . . .

Suzuki got to rebadge the KX60, KX65, and KX100, but you are correct that they both continued to make their own 85 class machine. The RM85 big wheel is different from the RM100.
you can see the similarities between the RM100 and KX100 here:
rm100.jpg

07-kx100.jpg

and the differences between the 85 machines, yet the similarity of the Kawasaki to both 100s:
rm85l.jpg

07-kx85.jpg

of course, in 1979, Suzuki made their own 100:
1978_RM100_yellow_500.jpg

Rm100Rider

Jan 10, 2007
well i guess im continue the rip down, i have a problem though.. theres 3 bolts that hold the top of the cylinder head to the frame and the sockets ive use like started to strip them, would pliers or vice grips work?

Rm100Rider

Jan 10, 2007
lol yea im a lil ticked at my self, but any suggestions/ideas on how to remove them,casue thats whats holding me back..and i want to keep going

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
If you can get a vise grip on them, that will work. Craftsman also makes a special tool for removing stripped nuts. I have a set and they work very well. They're not very expensive, about $20. Make sure you go back with new.

cr125freak

Jul 11, 2005
make sure you use quality sockets and wrenches, Craftsman will do but if you have snap-on available use them. Yes there is a difference. It may be a hundreth or thousandth of an inch but it does matter. If you can get that craftsman stipped nut remover they work well. If not vice grips.. Make sure you actually spend the money and buy the nuts and bolts you stripped. Ps. I did all of this too, actually like last week. I got in a rush wanting to polish my cylinder. Ask your friend if you can have the bike and if you sell it you will give him what it goes for,, minus the parts you recently put in it. Or else you may fix it and he wont pay you back or you just dotn have a bike to ride

Rm100Rider

Jan 10, 2007
Well i drained the oil today and i noticed the my vice grips are stripped inside so they dont even grip the nuts, so it looks like i need to pick up a new pair of vice grips,,

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
don't use vice grips! I cant imagine your fasteners are in that bad of shape on a 2003 bike. I highly recommend that you buy a repair manual before you take any more parts off.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Are you sure you are using Metric sockets and not Standard? I also find it hard to believe that on a 2003 no matter how neglected that many bolts would be frozen enough to strip the heads off. As everyone has said already USE THE CORRECT TOOLS FOR THE JOB AND SAVE YOURSELF A LOT OF EXPENSE AND HEADACHES

Repair manuals can be found almost anywhere- any bike shop should have them or at least get a Clymer's manuel for your bike

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Do yourself a favor and buy a set of six point sockets. That puts an end to rounding bolt heads. I'd buy them before a torque wrench.

Worst case on the bike could be around $800-900. And that's if the top and bottom end are completely trashed. I had to do both on our KX85.

One you get it running you'll completely forget about the ol' TTR.

rm60kid

Nov 12, 2006
yeah 2 strokes in my opinion rock! my rm60 hauled my 180 pound dad in 2cnd,the thing has a special kink to it so an 100cc should be faster.

p.s does anybody know how fast a cr500 goes I heard it went so fast it got took off the showroom floor

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom