VK_308

Jan 15, 2009
hey guys ive got an 03 WR450 just bought it a few months ago... it was working great until around about half way through my 5th ride..no lights no e-start had to kick start all the rest of the day (slightly annoyin due to the fact i changed over bikes to stop kicking it over) so i replaced the voltage regulator because it was over charging the battery and blowing all the globes, got another battery and it was all good... until i left the bike for a week in the shed, went to start it up, and nothing it was dead..

i put it on charger over night and it started great in the morning... when i went to start it 3 days after it was dead once again.. so something is draining the battery and im not sure wat, ive taken the key out aswell so its not that because i found out that leaving the ignition on drains it ever so slightly.. so im a little confused right now :bang:

has any body had this kind of trouble?? its really annoying seeings as my mate starts his bike up first time every time... he has had the same battery for 3 years.. mine goes dead within a week.. :yell:

any help would be great thanks
cheers...
scott

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
I have a 2004 US model wr 450 so I am not sure what the differences may be but....
I am kinda dissappointed with its set up also,,,apparently the charging/starting systems aren't maintenance free like a car,,,,

What I have done is ; disconnect 1 battery cable, place a voltmeter in between the battery terminal and the cable, if it shows a draw with no switches on you can systematically disconnect things until you locate the power drain. Hook up the battery cable start the bike andusing the voltmeter check for charging voltage. While everything I checked on my bike was not picture perfect according to the information I had, nothing seemed too outta whack enough to worry about.

So I bought a Battery Tender(small motorcycle battery charger that is self regulating).Then I try to keep the battery fully charged with the charger at all times and it helped quite a bit.

Storing a weak/discharged battery is the worse thing you can do to a battery, for some reason the charging system would never fully bring back the battery on my bike.too little time riding before I stop, and then hit the electric start again I dont know, but anyway try to keep the battery fully charged in between rides and it will help quite a bit

Top Bottom