tasYZ

Oct 18, 2003
My 03 yz 250 2strk goes thru many clutches (SIX in past few months. Have replaced all parts. use clutch and gear saver, change fluid about every ride. It has gone thru a clutch in one days ride/racing. I'm not a novice, have owned plenty ofmxbikes b4 w/no problem. Replaced with heavy duty springs aftermkt parts (hinson), etc. Anybody? Need help.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Somethings is not right. I have had stock clutch for 1 year now and it just now showing signs of wear. Are you doing the install yourself? If so, then you must be doing something wrong. If your not doing some wrong you might wanna take it to a shop or call Yamaha. No way should a 250 be blowing thru clutches that fast.

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by tasYZ
My 03 yz 250 2strk goes thru many clutches (SIX in past few months. Have replaced all parts. use clutch and gear saver, change fluid about every ride. It has gone thru a clutch in one days ride/racing. I'm not a novice, have owned plenty ofmxbikes b4 w/no problem. Replaced with heavy duty springs aftermkt parts (hinson), etc. Anybody? Need help.

The easiest cure is to go and BUY A HONDA CR250 or CRF450 NOW and maintain it properly and you will not have troubles like this.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
whitesands.....what a completely idiotic statement. I couldn't disagree more. Yamaha's bikes are just as quality as Honda's. I don't think that a clutch on a CR250 will outlast a clutch on a YZ250 if usage is equal.

There is obviously something wrong with this guys setup and I don't think it is a Yamaha problem.

JohnScott

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2001
Are you sure the clutches are worn out? I mean, did you take a set of calipers to them to determine if the friction plates/metal plates are out of spec? The reason I ask, is that I was having a problem with my YZ250's clutch slipping bad. I measured the plates and they were all within spec. I put it back together and they were still slipping. So, I ground about 1mm off of the clutch push rod that runs through the middle of the clutch hub - works great, no slipping. I think the pressure plate is probably what's worn out on my bike but it turns out that the push rod is a pretty cheap part so I didn't lose much in the long run extending the life of the pressure plate.

John

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom