MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
This is by no means a full on ride report just my frist impression thoughts on the bike. Conditions on where I was riding, local track that is tight and technical and sandyish soil. After spending an hour breaking it in per the manual. Starting the bike is easy even when cold it took me two kicks. I stalled it 5 times the first hour of riding even in gear pull the clutch & hot start trigger fires right up in one kick.

The motor is sweet it feels like the '01, my bud who has the '01 swears it has crisper throttle response and the motor feels like it wants to rev out higher. I had trouble all day long keeping the front end down as soon as it came on into the mid it would pull a wheelie super easy. On top they seemed about even the stock gearing seems spot on I spent most of my time in 3rd. I never did get the bike into 5th down the straight away it was plenty fast enough. Compared to my '02 yz 125 where i'd be in 5th tapped wanting alittle more overrev. Me and my bud couldn't really detect much of a difference is compression braking it was like splitting hairs it feels like the '03 is just harder to stall out if you don't get back on the gas quite as fast.

Ergo's are great! it feels more comfy than my '02 yz 125 maybe its the extra padding up front it has nothing to obstruct you or bother the rider. The seat to tank junction is flatter then my 125's when sitting side by side you can see a noticable difference. There is like a good half an inch less of an incline up the tank. When compared to the '01's its much better, getting forward isn't a problem at all.

I can't accurately judge the handling right now the stock tires were working against the bike due to the sandy soil conditions and i'm not a big fan of 739's either. It didn't do anything wrong or bad it felt like a yamaha I couldn't tell a difference between it and my 125's. I couldn't notice the weight when in turns or in the air it felt light and airy like the 125. The only time I did notice it alittle bit more was when the bike got out of shape and it took muscle to wrestle it back into place, but even then its lighter feeling than say a 250 2 smoke. with some S12's and my fav handle bars installed it will only get better. I did manage to get it to twich a few times over some high speed acceleration bumps but I feel it was more suspension induced cause they aren't broken in yet fully.

As far as the suspension go's I can't judge them yet due to the fact they aren't broken in yet. Right now it feels alittle overly stiff lets just say it didn't do anything wrong for now.

I'm really glad I got this bike it filled the void of wanting more power and I don't have to ride it so hyper actively like a 125 if I don't want to. This bike just plain rocks I sure don't miss my 125 now. I can't wait to get it out on the trails :p

Combat767

It's all about the dirt..
Nov 20, 2001
Great ride report. I've been contemplating an 03 YZ250F, but haven't seen any reports yet. What you've found, is what I've been looking for. More power! I've contemplated a big bore kit, but I think the 250f might be the ticket. Let us know more once you get some more time on the bike.
:aj: :aj:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Good stuff, well written MXP1MP.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
i'll write some more in about a month after I take it out and race it a few times. The local AX series starts here in the next few weeks this is going to be a big learning process. I feel once I learn how to properly ride the F i'll be faster on it than my 125. Btw make sure you check your bolts I had the top rad bolts come loose on me.

sceptor

Mar 31, 2002
After riding my 03 250F I have come to the solemn conclusion...

The 02 sucks. Totally. Glad my son inherited it, cause I will never ever get on that beast again. Well if you dont count all the times I gotta start it for him cause he's 3 inches too short that is. LOL

I have yet to stall it going into a corner, it does die when I hold the rear brake too long, but it just fires right back up as soon as I release it. What a huge difference being able to use the rear brake is now. It's great not having to hang my butt way out back anymore so I can hammer the front brake only to stop. The endos were killing me.

It has more topend power, and is quicker as well. I can definitely outpull my 02. It seems to rev even quicker this year as well. Did I mention how easy it was too start? just jump on, kick, and ride. NO MORE STARTING DRILL WOOHOO!!!

The seat has less cushion so you will have to be a tough ass this year. But it's easier to sit forward and weight the front end. The 6lbs of weight loss isnt all that noticable but it does seem skinnier and easier to handle.

Top Bottom