03 YZF250 starting troubles; is it FINALLY cured?

Bazooka Joe

Registered
Apr 4, 2002
Hey YZF250 owners.

I'm STRONGLY considering the 03 YZF250. My local dealer is offering me a really good deal on one.

I read many reports that Yamaha's starting issues are over. The bike now starts good both hot and cold. Sounds like some great news.

But... How about race time? For example, when the bike is good and hot, you just cartwheeled it, and you're half knocked out dead-tired? Will it start easily, or will the beast return?

Thanks in advance for the prompt replies! The dealer wants me to give him an answer soon.

BTW, will I miss my 02 RM250? (will use for woods riding)

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Well I just picked mine up and ill tell you it starts pretty easy. At first I was a questioning the bikes starting ability when it would decide on its own whether it needed the choke or not. But I have only had it for 3 days and im starting to work the quirks out of it, or learn the quirks I should say. It's pretty simple, here in Canada if it's colder than 5 degrees* Canadian that is, it requires the choke and starts in about 3 kicks, when it's about 10 degrees no choke, starts 2 or 3rd kick. Once it's warm it starts first kick everytime. I stalled it when I hit a patch of ice by my place, and one kick and it fired right up in gear. Im happy so far :) :yeehaw:

PS. This bike ROCKS!!!

Bazooka Joe

Registered
Apr 4, 2002
Thanks for the reply!

Let's hope the bike doesn't have those hot-hot starting issues because...... "I" have one sitting in the garage right now! I bought one as a Christmas present, I can't wait to "open up" it up!!! :)

So far, I've found-
1) The bike was a complete $#$%ing SOB to start with the engine cold and when fairly cold outside; (it was 15F outside when I brought it home.) We must've kicked 100 times, no exaggerating. I'm not sure, though if this was due to that it had never been started before.
2) It still is a bit crabby when cold engine at 35F (garage temp w/o heater turned on).
3) It starts VERY good once warmed. A boot or two, and it's chuggin' nicely.
4) The bike survived the simulated test to duplicate "couple of throttle twists by two stroke riders who don't know about accel pumps". I cranked the throttle FIVE complete blaps, and the engine fired up with two kicks w/ hot start. That's encouraging; I remember how I ruined the 01 WR250F buddy's day with just ONE twist.
5) Of note- Unlike the buddy's 01 WRF250, it idles as slowly as my 4x4 four wheeler.

So far, it looks good! :)

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Bazooka im actually kind of glad to hear you say that. When I first picked my bike up they started it in the shop in 2 kicks. When I unloaded it at home it took about 15. I wasn't too pleased, but then once warm I could get it going first kick anytime. So I go out the next day and go to do my routine, I pull the choke, kick NOTHING. Turn off the choke and it starts, odd.......

Next day I go to start it with no choke because it seemed to like that, it starts and dies. So I turn the choke on, second kick and it starts.

So some time it likes choke, some time it don't :)

But it's cold here too in Canada, and you get used to the quirks of the bike.

When it's below 5 degrees here it needs choke, if it's warmer than that it needs no choke.

Plus if you read your manual it gives you tips for starting and such, apparently you are actually suppose to twist the throttle twice if it's really cold then kick "prime the bike"

So anyways, im happy. Im getting used to it and im pretty sure when the weather is optimal it should be a breeze :thumb:

grunk250r

Nov 16, 1999
Congrats on the new scooter Joe!! A couple things guys, these bikes NEED to have the needle dropped 1 clip (richened), and also they need to have the throttle twisted smoothly a couple-3 times prior to starting when cold. I know this goes against 4 stroke thinking but try it, it works. 1st or second kick, when COLD, every time.

grunk250r

Nov 16, 1999
1 more thing too....when new these little thumpers are TIGHT....some time on the engine loosens things up and the bike becomes MUCH friendlier starting/riding.

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
Well, I paid $5450 for mine OTD. If I paid full boat it would have been $5599 + $80 (shipping) + $50 (docking fee or some crap like that). So, I got a few bucks off but I certainly didn't get a smokin' deal or anything.

BTW - I just picked it up tonight and I'm psyched! Too bad We just got a foot of snow yesterday :(

Bazooka Joe

Registered
Apr 4, 2002
Hey JCV! Congrats on the new bike! Nice little scooter, huh? My start seems to be getting better; I'm starting to get the hang of starting mine with tennis shoes!

You, me, and Grunk need to start a FRN LBDB club!

BTW, Send that foot of snow over here and I'll trample it FLAT with the Polaris XC500SP.

VintageDude-

The local dealer gave me a SMOKING deal on mine. I paid $5125 out the door ($4850 + 6.5% tax).

Jan 16, 2000
That's a d*mn good price. I've got some work to do on mine, yours is a virgin! Congrats. Unfortunately, I was doing some jetting on mine last Sunday (the day after I bought it), tipped it over in first freakin' gear in some slick stuff, stuck my right arm out to catch myself (elbow was LOCKED, that's BAD) and dislocated my elbow. Yeah, it hurt. I have most of the use of my arm back, see the doc tomorrow. I want to RIDE, not recuperate. Oh well, we just got snow Xmas day, but at least I could be working on it rather than drooling.

Congrats to both new bike owners, anyway!

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
Hey Bazooka,

LBDB Club? I'm in! :D

I've only started my bike once but I was wearing sneaks and it kicked over easier than my old KDX did! And that's saying something!

Bazooka Joe

Registered
Apr 4, 2002
JimT,

The dealer only had the one. I think he gave me the smokin' price b/c I've been a dirt riding buddy with him for a bunch of years, plus he wanted to see me on something besides a Suzuki. (he is a Yam/Honda dealer) A larger dealer in MN, who usually has the best deals, sells YZFs for $5100 + tax, but they are currently out of stock.

Bazooka Joe

Registered
Apr 4, 2002
Grunk & JCV,

You betcha, the FRN LBDB club is a GO!! I was wondering; do we let MN Baja join? He's an OK peep, in fact, pretty good for being one of those "E" button guys. :)

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
Bazooka im actually kind of glad to hear you say that. When I first picked my bike up they started it in the shop in 2 kicks. When I unloaded it at home it took about 15. I wasn't too pleased, but then once warm I could get it going first kick anytime. So I go out the next day and go to do my routine, I pull the choke, kick NOTHING. Turn off the choke and it starts, odd.......

That's a good point. Yamaha's four stroke fourwheelers have been like that for years. Sometimes in cold weather, with the choke on, you can crank the starter until the battery is dead and it won't start. But take the choke off and it will fire right up. You just have to be ready to put the choke on right away. It must be a Yamaha thi :confused:

mnbaja

Dec 20, 2000
Let me join? What do you mean? I should be the freakin President of the club, I have more hours on one of those LBDB's than all you guys put together!! I still want the magic button though! Congrats to all you newbies that have finally seen the light. You guys are going to love that bike as long as it starts. Hey, by the way, what does FRN stand for?

UKcr125rider

Apr 28, 2002
All the 'starting techniques' go out the window i think when in race conditions. Adrenalin + riders flying past while you are picking yourself up off the dirt = panic and lack of co-ordination. I was at the local supercross and saw 3 250F riders (and these are GP riders) not finishing the race because of crashes and failure to restart the engines. They were twisting the throttle, kicking it half the stroke, etc, basically doing everything wrong. Probably bacause they were panicing. Anybody can fire up a 2 smoke when in a frenzy, but a 4 banger needs a steady head.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
UK, with the 03 model the bike now as auto-matic decomp. All you have to do is pull in the hotstart lever mounted on the bars and kick the bike and your off.

Bazooka Joe

Registered
Apr 4, 2002
Originally posted by UKcr125rider
.......... while you are picking yourself up off the dirt = panic and lack of co-ordination.....

Ohhh man,,,, that's MY typical mode of racing. ;)

Actually, I've been practicing starting my 03 YZ250F and getting pretty good at it; fires right up every time. It's not nearly as touchey as the older ones, but of course, I didn't know how to start a diesel bike then either. I'm just hoping it starts good next summer when it's 95, I'm dug into the muck with skeets surrounding me, and I'm dog-dead tired. (panic'd and un-cordinated, too.)

Baja, I don't know if we can hand you the Prez spot. Grunk has been a diesel lover since forever. We'll let the ballots decide. What does the club name mean? Well, the "LB" stands for Little Blue; you figure out the rest, IF you want to be Prez. But, I'm not sure about FRN. JCV says that abbrev ALL the time, but he'll never tell me, so I figure it must be something GOOD. :)

mnbaja

Dec 20, 2000
Now we are getting closer to the REAL question. Has anybody who races, I don't care what kind, somebody "A" level preferably, had to start one of these new 03's under RACE conditions? You know, when it is hot and been flipped, crashed, run over, etc. and they were in "panic" mode trying to start it? How does it start then? I would like to know before I plop money down on one.

Top Bottom