JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
Hi all!

I posted a very short "1st ride" report at ktm talk. I haven't been here on DRN for ahwile and while reading through this forum, I see a lack of info on the '04 200exc. I thought I'd post my report for you folks. Just so you know, I sold my '01 250exc a couple of years back when my 2nd child was born. Last X-mas, I bought myslef an '03 yz250f - I almost bought another KTM (some of you may remember me asking Q's in here around that time) but I just wanted to try something different. I put a few rides on the 250f and I liked it a lot... but then something came up and I had to sell it. Well, I just bought a brand new '04 200exc and it's absolutely the best bike I've owned yet. This one is going nowhere! So here's a little info on my new bike. Once I get in a few more rides I'll report back.

Well, I went riding on Sunday! Whoa! I couldn't be more impressed with the 200! Off idle power is insane! It can actually be a little sketchy to deal with in super tight conditions LOL> Once I had a little time on it I started riding a gear higher and it lugged with authority.

This bike is awesome.That's all I can say - awesome! I like it much better than I liked my '01 250exc - and I really liked that bike. The motor is fantastic, the suspension works great - I was able to pound whoops as good as I did on my 250F. The fork is just a tad harsh for slow moving in super rocky conditions. Just drink a little "gnad grow", nail it and sail through smooth a silk... similar to the stock fork on my 250exc. The one thing that amazes me the most about this bike is its ability to carve! It turns like a motocrosser. Don't get me wrong, I bleed orange, but other KTM's I've ridden had to be "coaxed" through corners in a much different way than this bike. This bike is just "point it and go"! I am having a blast in the turns with this thing.

It's super slim, light and can be easily manhandled. It felt a little small at first but I'm already getting used to it. I have never been this excited about a new bike before! I love it!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Congrats on the new bike.  Those orange 200's are absolutely a blast to ride!  For riders used to Japanese machines, they are much easier to adapt to than the bigger KTMs, IMO. 

What changes did they make to the '04 200exc compared to the '03? 

I've ridden angry jim's dialed in '03 200exc.  Except for his bike not having over abundant off idle power, my review of it would be nearly identical to your comments of the '04.   I would be VERY happy to have one in my garage.

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
I've only ridden in the tight woods so far so I have no idea what the top end power is like on the 200. I'll make my comparisons regarding the low end and midrange power. As far as low end power, the 200exc will shred the yzf250, 250exc (2001) and the KDX220. This thing has immediate, off-idle power. It also lugs very well. The yzf lugged OK, the KDX didn't and the 250exc did a decent job but not as good as the new 200. Midrange: the 200 rips in this department too! it has a lot more midrange power than the KDX. The yzf had plenty of midrange power but it was very different power - hard to compare here. The 250exc ripped... I really think the new 200 has just as much though.

As far as changes to the '04 200exc: Excel wheels, Renthal Fat Bars and I know they made some suspension changes I just don't know the specifics. The one piece rear fender/side panels is pretty cool - I believe that's new this year.

I'll update this thread as I get more familiar with the bike. I've never bought a new bike and rode it right away. I usually take some time, grease everything, add accessories, etc... With this one, I bought it Friday and rode it Sunday so I'm not real familiar with it yet ;)

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
This makes me want to ride mine now. I picked up my new 04 200EXC a couple of weeks ago and with racing, trying to put on a race this weekend, and work the new toy has just been sitting. I do get to ride it this weekend at the enduro so I'll have to give my $.02 on it and compare it to my 02 200EXC.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Congratulations on the new bike.

I really like my '01 200MXC that I picked up "new" last spring. I haven't got a lot of time on it, but it reminds me of my Penton. There is a good thread about "must do mods" you might want to check out. I am considering adding a flywheel weight just to slow down the rush a bit more. I can always take it off, but pulling a wheelie through trees is a bit too exciting.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i had a weight on my '00 200 (which also had been ported), & i really liked it. didn't slow down the bike 1 iota, but it was easier to keep up speed in the corners. it is also helpful to smooth out the jetting on the pre-'04's, it is possibloe to tune away some of that hit.

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
Rode about 20miles yesterday on the new bike and it does handle much better than my 02. My 02 has the 18 mil clamps on it but the 04 is stock. The 04 still stuggles in very tight woods, still hits the locks, but it turned without effect everywhere else. The suspension felt good, but stiff, have to get more time on it. The motor seems to have more power on the buttom then the 02 and seemed to have less of a hit. Maybe I wasn't riding hard enough, I'll do that today. I'll be putting on about 100 miles this weekend so I'll have some better seat time to talk about.

Doc

Two-Stroke Nut
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 9, 2000
I picked up an '04 200EXC yesterday. The brakes are different, the clutch master cylinder has a smaller piston(easier pull), the swing arm is longer, the ignition mapping is new (People who got off earlier EXC200s have told me the '04 has more power than earlier years, probably due to the new ignition mapping).

Top Bottom