MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I got to oogle an '04 300 EX/C yesterday, and am considering going from the 250 to a 300 for my next bike (hopefully late winter/early spring). Has anyone ridden the new 300 yet?

Razorback

Jul 12, 2002
Last week I bought an 04 EXC300 and my buddy bought the 04 MXC300.We have gone riding 4 times now to the same MX track in Elsinore Ca.
Engine:Smoth and quiet,very easy to manage,mellow hit,almost zero vibration,outstanding low end torque and top end,nearly impossible to stall even when running a gear to high.Very fast when you open her up past half throttle.Made no changes to jets,needle position or air screw,turned idle up 1 turn.Runs great right off the floor.
Suspension:Plush and responsive and corners like a dream.Rear shock is a little soft and will bottom if you land the jumps wrong or come up short.Forks are great and only bottomed them once when I really blew it on double but I've bottomed my 02 KX250 on the same jump.After adjusting the clickers the rear shock soaks up the jumps really good.
Tires: The stock Bridgestones have been great on dry and wet track,M-59 front, M402 rear.
Jumps:This bike jumps best while on the gas.Flies nice and level or front slightly up.My KX will loft the front wheel real high if I jump it the same way.The KTM will kick rear wheel up slightly and want to land front first but it's not like it's going to throw you over the bars or anything like that if your not on the gas.
Ergos: I'm 5'11" ,210 and the bike fits me good with the bars in the far forward position.Seat hight feels a little high compared to my KX but I got used to it pretty quick.The seat feels hard but once you start riding it softens up.No complaints after the first lap.The bike feels very light and I love the bars.
After riding my bike for eight laps I quickly jumped on my buddies MXC300 and it's nearly the same but it revs a little higher in low gears and it vibrates a bit more.I don't notice any vibration on my bike but I did on his.The track we ride is pretty tight with a lot of jumps and berms so I was not able to see how much different the gear boxes are in 4th and 5th.All I can say is I never hit 5th on my EXC but I did on his MXC.
Bad news:If you remove the taillight there are two long plastic mounting stems that stick down.One of mine broke off at it left a small hole in the rear fender.If you don't plan on leaving the rear light on then trim the stems off with a dremel tool.I also replaced the headlight with a factory number plate but as expected the odometer has to be removed also.
Brakes and clutch: So far no complaints.First bike with a hydraulic clutch and it seems to work great.I don't know what the advantage is supposed to be but as long as it does'nt leak I'm happy.

Final words:I couldn't be happier with this bike.I'm already a faster rider on it then my 02 KX250 with mods.Don't let the smooth power delivery fool you.I have over shot several jumps because the power gets to the ground with little or zero wheelspin and sometimes you just don't realize how fast your going.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Razorback, thanks for the great write-up! Is this the first KTM you've owned or ridden?

Razorback

Jul 12, 2002
I try to write reviews the way I would like to find them,informative and detailed with some comparisons. This is my first KTM and I have never had the chance to ride one either.I've owned a few thumpers but I prefer two strokes.So far this bike is just what I had hoped for.A bike thats good on the track,in the mountains, and in the desert.I'm not a racer so I don't need to have a certain displacement.My original purpose for this bike was to replace my XR400 for the mountains and desert and ride my KX on the track.The 300 has been so good for me on the track that I now have to choose which bike to take.It's good to have this kind of a problem.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I saw the one I mentioned at Village Honda in Grand Rapids, who just pickec up KTM. Maybe you can get a dealer swap going!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I got to ride a 300 MXC this weekend (Thanks CC).  I liked the gearing more than the EXC that I rode last year and the current ergonomics were a big improvement.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I had no issues with the power.  However, I was not riding my bike (the bike was picked up on the way to the trail ride) and did not twist the throttle real hard.

Good luck on the dealer trade.  This early in the "new bike" season sometimes the little fish are not so willing to trade with the big fish.

Jul 12, 2004
300's - EX/C vs MX/C and 03 vs 04

I was wanting a 04 300 EX/C, but the dealers have told me good luck, there are probably none on the west coast. There are 300 MX/C's around tho and the dealer said they're almost identical. KTM's web site doesn't say too much about the differences either, but I noticed the MX/C has a close ratio 6 vs wide ratio 5 on the EX/C. I want to make sure that whatever I get has a granny 1st for nasty/tight uphills, etc, a tall last gear, a headlight, and plush suspension for offroad riding, which my KX 250 lacks all of. There is a guy with a used 03 300 EX/C I can get for 4500 if I act soon that is in pretty good shape other than a slightly crunched radiator on the R side. I'm not sure how much better 03's are from the 04's, but Dirt Rider articles make it sound like it is a profound improvement with their comments to the effect "the 04 is completely new and can't really be compared to the 03". I can put my name and wait for an 05 300 EX/C, I could buy an 04 MX/C and try to "convert" it to an EX/C, or I could get the used 03 300 EX/C for ~2000 cheaper. I'm leaning towards getting the used 03 so I don't have to wait for an 05 or get an 04 MX/C which I'm not sure how close it is to the exc or how much extra $ for conversion would be (not much articles on MXC or how it compares to EXC) Are there any differences other than the headlight and the trannies? Anybody have any experience on how much better the 04's are than the 03's (2000 dollars better?) and/or suggestions on my predicament? Comments are much appreciated!

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I'll add my two cents (about what it's worth) as a comparison with the 250's, which for the most part would fit the 300's. The difference between the '03 frame and the '04 frame is there, but in my opinion isn't radically different. The '04 frame allows you to stand up for easily, and the transition from sitting to standing is easier. I put a tall seat on my '02 (essentially the same bike as the '03) and felt a similar affect. The '04's may turn a little better in tight stuff, but then I thought the '03 was a little more stable in fast stuff.

As far as the engine difference, the '04 250 felt like it had a weaker low end than the '02/03. I preferred the older 250 motor honestly. I really don't know how that relates to the 300 motor though.

As far as a close ration transmission, you'll have more shifting to do. I believe first gear ratio is identical between the MX/C and EX/C. In fact, I think it's only 3rd and 4th that are different, but I may be wrong.

Jul 12, 2004
Well, I found the answers to my MX/C vs. EX/C after checking MANY sources, it seems that the following is the most common, so I'm guessing the most accurate. THey are the same with the exception of the trannies, headlight, and rear fender, and EX/C has the enduro computer. I was told that you can even buy the EX/C headlight and the plug for the lighting is already on the MXC so you can just plug it in. As far as the trannies, I've heard the 2 have about the same 1st gear, but the MX/C's are closer together after that, and 6th on the MX/C is about 3-4 MPH slower than the EX/C 5th. I decided to just jump on that used 03 and save myself some money, figured I can always move to an 04+ later, and in the mean time I get a great bike, even if its not as good as an 04. I heard the main improvement between 04 and 03 was a ~7 lbs weight loss, and better suspension. I had a KDX 200 before, which was a great bike for my riding, just weak on the power for my over 200lbs butt, especially on big, high altitude hills, sand, etc., so I got a KX 250. Phenomenal power, but not a good woods bike where I do most of my riding. I want a "do all" bike-- I ride mostly woods, some desert, sand dunes, and occasionally play at a MX track on practice nights, and I think the 03 300 will suit me well in this regard. (better than any of my 2 previous bikes I'm sure). Maybe I'll do better with it at next year's Desert 100 race in odessa!

Top Bottom