'04 CR250R - fuel leaks from overflow?

DieselTech

Always breakin' something
~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
Hello all. I recently purchased a leftover '04 CR250R, and I've put about 5 hours on it. I've noticed that if I lean the bike to the left (like if I'm turning it sharply, pushing it, engine off, fuel petcock on) it leaks fuel from the overflow (it seems to me, or could it be the vent hose?). If I lean the bike to the right, it doesn't do it. As a matter of fact, I can lean the bike further to the right, and it doesn't leak. I don't know if it leaks when riding it, but it will if it's not running. Is this a common issue with these bikes? Or should I be disassembling the carb to check the float & needle/seat (remember, this bike is practically new)? Why would it leak to the left, but not the right (unless it's leaking from the vent, which if that's the case, what should I do - is that normal?)? I know if you lay a bike WAY over, fuel will leak from the vent hose, but I'm not laying it far enough over for that to happen, IMO. Thanks!

DieselTech

~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
Ok, but how far over are we talking about as being "normal"? Are certain bikes more "tolerant" of this - I am asking this because it was another rider that pointed this out to me (the leak), and it was after I had turned my bike around - I hadn't leaned it very far to the left at all (I thought, anyway). So, when I got home, I did an experiment, leaning the bike over and seeing just how far I have to go to get it to leak. I'd estimate that to the left, any more than 20 degrees from vertical=leak. To the right, I can go to 45 degrees and still no leak. I thought maybe it had something to do with the carb not being completely vertical (with the bike vertical, it seemed to be twisted slightly to the left), so I loosened the clamps and rotated it slightly so that it was a near vertical as possible (by the 'ol "calibrated eye" technique). Made no difference. Any thoughts?

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
Like Oldguy said...its pretty normal. As long as its not doing it while running I wouldn't worry about it. My YZ250 doesn't take much for gas to start peeing out. It only does it when pushing it around so....

Apr 24, 2007
my kx does the same thing, always try to close fuel valve when stopping to rest or prepping to load and such and you'll notice that the problem doesn't exist.

DieselTech

~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I went out and checked the lean angle, it's actually about 30 degrees when it starts to leak, not 20. So much for the 'ol calibrated eye......

It also does it if it's running at idle. It takes a few seconds before it starts to leak, but it still does it even while running. But, I suppose this is normal - according to BikeBandit's microfische, the bowl overflow tube is on the left side of the bowl, which would explain why this is happening I think. I don't know why they wouldn't just put it in the center........

DieselTech

~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
Ok, so I looked in my owner's manual for the float specs, and I get 2 very different specs. On the page showing a pic of checking the float level, it's listed at 7.5mm (0.29"), but on the next page where it lists the specs in a table, it says 15mm (0.59") - anyone have any input on THAT? I also noticed some other discrepancies in the owner's manual as well regarding stock jetting.......hmmmmmm

Top Bottom