crfnusa

Mar 5, 2004
Hey All,
I have a 2004 CR85 and I am having a mean swap in the whoops. I was in the desert and having problems cause i would hit a whoop or dropoff into a whoop and get bucked and swapped. We took some compression Damping out and it began to handle better over the drops and whoops. Later we found a 1/2 mile long section of whoops and i would get swapped real bad around the 15th whoop. We took all the compression damping out and put in all Rebound Damping but still had the same problem. My dad thinks that with the settings the shock might pack down and there fore causes me to swap until i let off and let the stroke extend again. Now note, I ride Motocross and I have the same problems in the whoops at Glen Helen for instance, and I am completely dumbfounded.
I have to have it set full rebound damping, no compression for whoops, but then it is to soft for the Leap of faith :yikes: . I don't know how to fix this and we don't know whether we should add to pro circuits retiremnet fund or tweak it ourselfs.

PS. Im way short for the bike, and i only weigh 80-85 pounds depending on how much I eat LOL. So please help! Thanks alot. :)

SoCal Steve

Jun 5, 2001
crfn,

Try adjusting the rebound damping to be softer/faster. It sounds like the rear end is packing thru subsequent whoops. A bit stiffer on comp damping will help keep the rear end up in the stroke. Also, at your weight a bit lighter on the rear spring may help the overall action.

Steve

overbore

Dec 24, 2001
I agree with the compression and the rebound ,but cant see how loosening the spring would
help if its packing.I would think that you might need more preload,but I could be wrong.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Have you serviced your shock? If not, dont even try to dial it in. The shock body on the CR85's is not coated. The shock oil looks like a choclate milk shake in no time. I would change the oil, then try changing the settings.

YZFRLB

Feb 17, 2005
turning the rebound all the way in is definately the wrong way to go...

you want to find a good medium that allows the rear to soak up bumps but not pack

its all about testing

you need to have the compression in far enough to keep the shock high enough in the stroke, but not so stiff it does not absorb enough of the impact and makes the front plow

Top Bottom