Remy01

Sep 10, 2007
hey
im looking at buying an 04 crf250r. i heard there is a few valve problems, is this true? is so can they be avoided easily. is there any other problems??
thanks

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The main problem is lack of maintenance. They do run titanium valvaes which wear faster than stainless steel. Most people switch to stainless once the ti valves are done.

Remy01

Sep 10, 2007
how often would i need to take it in? i wont be racing either and i'll follow the manual's maintenance rutein....

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
76GMC1500 said:
Well, you'll need your mechanic to look after it. Valve maintenance is often beyond the scope of the average rider.
It's not that hard, I do it on my CRF450R by myself and it's my first 4-stroke. There are guides on the internet showing exactly what to do, I even know of one they do it on the CRF250R.

I put SS valves in my 450 in a few weeks ago. Cost me $350 but I work at a shop so I get discounted parts and I installed and did all the work myself. I don't know about the 250 but on the 450 I've seen people reshimming every 10 hours to others who haven't messed with them in 40+ hours. I can't say about mine right now because I haven't ridden it much since I installed them.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
thebleakness said:
Cost me $350 but I work at a shop so I get discounted parts and I installed and did all the work myself..

Almost sounds like you might be considered as someone with above average mechanical skill. I too find it simple, but I am an automotive tech by trade.

I have over 40 hours on mine and have not had to shim a valve yet. They are all .001 over min spec. I plan to at least replace the springs and have the seats and valves inspected and measured. This I will leave to a reputable service professional, as I do not have all of the required tools. I am also very strict on maintenance. It gets oil changes every 4-6 hours, air filter cleaning every oil change if its not dusty, if it is every ride. I change the filter every other oil change and the trans oil every other oil change.

Basically, maintenance is key. At least thats what I find. You could brobly be a little less anal than me and still not have much trouble. If you plan to ride a lot, a two-stroke may be easier to keep up with. Good luck!

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
_JOE_ said:
Almost sounds like you might be considered as someone with above average mechanical skill. I too find it simple, but I am an automotive tech by trade.
I dunno about that. I have a general idea of what is going on inside the engine but not all that much. I should have clarrified earlier, I work at the parts counter so I'm not wrenching either. When I re-built the engine I had one of the techs watch me do build and instructed me how. I did 99% of the work and he just came back occasionally and commented on the next step. As for re-shimming I was shown once how to do it and then read up on everything I could about it. I was scared ****less the first time i tried starting it after my first time! lol :ohmy: :rotfl:

I love my fo'fiddy but if you don't want the hassle of working on them and prepping them alot (which I seem to be doing often...) I'd just stick with the 2stroke. I still have my KDX so I ride the CRF in certain instances and save me some money. I'm a college student so I'm not rolling in the cash! :laugh:

Remy01

Sep 10, 2007
my local honda dealer told me to check valves every 15-20 hours. is this correct and how often do they need to be replaced?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
15-20 hours can be a long time if you push it hard. If you are easy on it that would probly be ok. Check them right after break-in to make sure they are in spec and get a feel for whats involved. The manual that comes with the bike shows the procedure fairly clearly. The valves should be replaced once they need the 3rd adjustment.

magnet711

Feb 14, 2004
I must be special

I have a 04 450 and i just did a complete top end for no reason other then preventative maint. My bike had well over 600 hours on all stock parts. Checked valves twice during that period. Was completely anal about fluid changes, changing the oil every two rides or 6-8 hours and tranny every 8 -12 hours. Kept a nice clean filter.

I did have substantial compression loss when we rebuilt the top end but other then that , the honda specs are a bit over the top.

I ride aggressive single track and am very pleased with the reliability of the OEM parts.

When we broke the motor down there was very little sign of wear, the cylinder was clean with almost no signe of wear, piston was clean. We did upgrade the head to the 06 model which has better seating, but used stock valves.

Be kind to your bike and it will be kind to you.

<<< out

magnet711

Feb 14, 2004
What's really " crazy " is people who don't know how to take care of their equipment.

Thank god my next door neighbors were a part of the superstar elites, and taught me how to take care of it.

Thank you bob, and jim, david, and johnny.....

and P.S , David our prayers are with you................ hope you enjoyed those rides on the special bike.......i know those memories will last forever !!!

Top Bottom