Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
Hey All,

I ordered an '04 CRF450 yesterday and I just had to tell someone who would know why I'm so excited. It'll be the first NEW dirt bike I've ever had. I haven't ridden an '04 yet (only an '02) but the reports are good and I'm hoping that it's streets ahead of the '99 YZ400F I'm riding now. It should be here in two weeks.

Cheers.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
My heavily modified YZF444 is incredibly fun and was the best bike I had ever ridden by far but my essentially stock CRF450 is so much better it's painfull. Congrats, you'll LOVE the bike.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
congrats on the new biike, but that doesnt make me any less bitter since i havent got one. it must be this bad "attitude" of mine!@ :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by bclapham
congrats on the new biike, but that doesnt make me any less bitter since i havent got one. it must be this bad "attitude" of mine!@ :)

or it's the Brit thing. :moon:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by bclapham
hey- from what ive been reading, your attitude stinks worse than mine! :p

Yeah but I'm an American so it's OK. :aj:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Imho,

congrats on the new scoot!!!
I was in the same boat a couple of weeks ago. I had never owned a brand new dirtbike before.
Then at Dirtweek, I got a manfunnel and my world changed.
within 6 weeks time I had a shiney new 04 CRF450 in my garage! :aj:
You'll love it! It sure beats the piss outta my old CR500 for smooth power delivery. ;)

pinball

Sponsoring Member
Oct 19, 2003
Originally posted by Imho
Hey All,

I ordered an '04 CRF450 yesterday and I just had to tell someone who would know why I'm so excited. It'll be the first NEW dirt bike I've ever had. I haven't ridden an '04 yet (only an '02) but the reports are good and I'm hoping that it's streets ahead of the '99 YZ400F I'm riding now. It should be here in two weeks.

Cheers.

I got mine in sept. and was able to ride it for a month before the snow hit .It is freakin amazing!! I`ve had euro ,enduro, two strokes until now ,and this thing kicks! Your gonna love it!!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Welcome to the club :) LOL... yet another clique on DRN. CRF Owners. No, not those tiddler CRFs, the big ones.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
MAN! I'm still on the 125 :whiner: I haven't ridden the 450 Honda yet, but I will. I rode my 2nd 4-stroke ever this past weekend, a YZ426. It was incredible. I didn't think I'd like a thumper, I keep telling myself so anyway. I had been on the 125 the entire day and just before I loaded up, my buddy with the new RM250, (with the bent handlebars, broken toes and bruised tail bone on his 1st ride out) ask me to ride his bike and "clean it out." I did and then the other guy with us asked me to ride the 426. I couldn't believe how the 4-strokes accelerate, it's like they never quit and it was so easy to go fast on. I still want to 2-stroke 250 before they become extinct but I'm wanting a 4-stroke so i can "feel the power!"

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Jeff, next time I'm down at Nocona, you're welcome to ride mine. Careful though, they are adidcting! Better yet, mine will be for sale this summer :)

I was sure the CRF250 would be the perfect bike for me, but after riding one, the 450 really stands out. I was afraid I was getting into another arm killer (AF), but it's not like that at all. I LOVE the 450.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by Okiewan
Better yet, mine will be for sale this summer :) 

Making room for an '05

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Has anyone ever noticed how looooooong two weeks really is?

Patient Imho, they're probably having trouble floating it over from the mainland on the rubbermaid transport device. (and during Great White season)

Probably some dingo's and croc's after it as well, mate.

Fair Dinkem, and good on ya.

Don't ya hate ignorant Americans that pull stuff like this? ;)

Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
Originally posted by nephron
Don't ya hate ignorant Americans that pull stuff like this?
Actually nephron, you had me going for a minute. Most people don't know we use the term "mainland" ... unfortunately hope faded with the dingo's and croc's bit. :laugh:

I'm guessing you've been here before though.

Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
It's here! The CRF's sittin' at the dealer with a big SOLD sticker on it.

Now all I have to do is arrange the rest of the money but it should be in the garage (and on our track) this weekend. :cool:

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
HEY congradulations there Imho!
Youve got your self a good starter bike there :laugh:
(read sig)

When you get use to it, you can move up to the big bike class!

J/KING Great bike, I almost bought one when I got the KTM, the e button thingy sent me to the orange side.
Have fun with it, you won't regret it :yeehaw:

Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
Well, I picked up the CRF last Wednesday in the pouring rain. It then rained solidly for the next two days. Anyway, I finally got to ride it on Saturday afternoon and my first impressions? AWESOME! The weight difference and handing is incredible after the '99 YZ400F. The YZ feels top heavy in comparison and the CRF has a more planted front end in corners. My son is normally faster than me but I was able to overtake him around the outside of corners (he was on the '400). Straight line acceleration enabled me to pass him on the straights and that was without using full throttle. The only gripe I have is that over sharp-edged bumps there is a rattle from the rear which I think is the chain hitting the fairly hard plastic swing-arm protectors. Apart from that, I'm one happy camper! There is a club practice day on Sunday so I'll get to give it (me) a real workout then.

I wonder how much of the difference is the placebo effect? :laugh:

Cheers.

Last edited:

Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
Well, I had my first race day on the CRF at a club event last Sunday. What do I think? It's all too easy! Now, I'm not saying I won all the races or anything like that but this bike has made the races so much easier for me that I feel I could do twice as many laps and still feel OK. It's so light to move around and I have now noticed a significant power difference, particularly low-mid out of corners. The power is smooth and it hooks up really well so I can also get it to the ground. My suspension doesn't bottom anymore which gives me greater confidence to tackle (and make) the jumps and I get less head-shake over sharp edged bumps when travelling fast and cornering.

On the down-side, I was taken out in the veterans race. Cut off, front wheel hits back wheel followed by a high-sided and heavy landing and a fair bit of pain. Shoulder, hip and thumb swollen and bruised. About the only thing I can report about the bike is that it's in perfect working order, no bent bars and only minor scratches on the front guard.

Next up is a state round so I am going to have to change my mind-set to put more effort in earlier as I was way too fresh at the end of the club races. I hope I'm better by then though. My hip and shoulder are slowly getting better but my thumb is still as bad as the day it happened. I'm not dying so I guess I have no reason to see a doctor. :laugh:

Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
Holy cr*p! What's going on? New bike, easier to ride, better performance and handling. Really pleased BUT is this bike jinxed or is it me? One Club Day, one State Round and two get-offs! Hip, shoulder and thumb in the first one. Upper arm, shoulder and kidney/back in the second one (over the bars on a tabletop). I'm too old and this is starting to catch up with me. I hadn't recovered from the first one when I had the second one. The spectators and medics said it look spectacular but unfortunately no video. Oh well. All this, and the demonic CRF (no wonder it's red) came out of it with just a scratched front guard. Maybe I should go back to the YZ400F. :laugh:

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
I remember my 400 spit me off regularly so I don't think it's the color, maybe an exorcism is called for! (Or it could be that we heal sooo much slower than we used to, nah that can't be it)

Top Bottom