Mar 20, 2007
So I have a 2004 Honda CRF450R heres the deal... I changed the engine oil/tranny oil/filter all that good stuff like 2weeks ago and today I wanted to go ride its around 3C outside so I tired to start the bike took me around 20kicks figured thats prob cause of it being cold... So I go ride turn the bike off cause my bud came to meet me... went to start it again and No Dice... I kicked and kicked I checked everything engine is hot.... So I said screw it walked up the hill.... rolled down in 2nd and jump started fired it I've been having this prob all day long any ideas on what it can be?

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
checking the vlaves isnt hard, id do that just to be safe. the temp change could do it, how well does it start hot? my crf was hard to start when it was cold, but hot it was 1 kick. if its jetting then it should start easily hot.

Mar 20, 2007
when its Hot I kick and kick like 20starts sometimes backfires then starts but dies right away.... after but I don't have a problem jump starting it off the hill I was doing that all day walked up and rode down in 2nd and poped the clutch and it fired right up and I rode around... then stopped turned the bike off maybe 20mins later for a 5min break and same problem back to the hill i walked... near the end of the day I was just taken breaks on top of the hill to make things easier

Try Me

May 1, 2006
mine did a similar thing, ended up being valves. i replaced the intake vavles with stainless steel valves, replaced springs and retainers, and reshimmed the vavlves. has run like a champ ever since and started easy every time. probably your valves, a common issue on these bikes

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
You are using the hot start when it's warm right? Try backing the fuel screw out a quarter to half a turn. The valves on your bike also need to be checked frequently. A valve not seating will cause all sorts of issues, and can be very expensive to correct if neglected.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Polish_Mikeski said:
when its Hot I kick and kick like 20starts sometimes backfires then starts but dies right away.... after but I don't have a problem jump starting it off the hill I was doing that all day walked up and rode down in 2nd and poped the clutch and it fired right up and I rode around... then stopped turned the bike off maybe 20mins later for a 5min break and same problem back to the hill i walked... near the end of the day I was just taken breaks on top of the hill to make things easier

If your bike won't kick start when it is hot and you bump start it anyway you are taking a BIG chance of costing yourself a lot of money. There is a reason it will not start and you should not try to run it until you find out what is wrong. :nod:

Like others have suggested, CHECK YOUR VALVES. If the valves tighten up and you continue to run the bike, you can burn the valves and seats. If you bump start it and still continue to run the bike, it can destroy the entire head, cam, lifters, etc, etc.

Four strokes are getting a bad rap for this very reason.

yamarider88

Jun 24, 2007
my friend had this happen to him twice on his crf250x and everytime it was because it would not kick start so he just had to bump start it after riding with us 3 times like this his valves were toast and he did this twice and has since learned if it don't start don't force it.

Mar 20, 2007
PROBLEM FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU ALL
fuel screw out a quarter and every time I pull the Hot Start, and kick when the engine is warm BAM 1 kick thank you all and thank you _JOE_

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
That was a let down! Kidding. ;)

gearhead119

Mar 18, 2008
Still you should probably check the valves anyway....a hard starting big bore 4 stroke=tightening valves.. Preventative maitenence is worth a ton in the long run!

Top Bottom