OCCRA_Racer

Oct 29, 2002
I know that the RFS series use heavier cranks in the EXC models than the SX models. Does that hold true for the 200cc two strokes as well?

I know the EXC uses a smaller carb and heavier flywheel. Ignition timing and compression may be affected too. What are the main motor differences in the 200 SX and EXC motors?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by OCCRA_Racer
50 veiws and no answer? Where are all the KTM experts? ;)

Waiting in line at the parts counter? :eek:

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I wasn't going to respond since i'm not 100% on this for the '04s, but since nobody else is I'll take a shot to get it started.   I know on the '03s the 200SX engine is quite different from the 200 E/XC engine.  This SX engine is based on the 125SX engine and as I recall if you look at the 2 side by side you can see they are different even externally from the E/XC engine.  Even the pipe has a very different shape and is based on the 125SX pipe.

It may have changed in '04 since the 250 E/XC engine is now based on (last year's?) 250SX engine.

OCCRA_Racer

Oct 29, 2002
Dang Rich, that stung! :D

Doug

I didn't know there was that big of difference. I'm in the old debate of what is better, making an EXC more racier or making the SX more woodsy? For XC/HS racing I'm not sure what would be the better approach.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Have you ridden a 200exc? I just rode an '03 at DW and that thing was plenty fast for me stock. I would think for your stated use (assuming some tightness to the woods) that would be a much lower cost option. The SX design point is the lightest, fastest MX bike, so it's got 19" rear wheel, stiffer suspension, no lighting coil, etc.  It's also going to be more of a top end bike, trading off low end where necessary. Porting and 39mm carb (vs. 38mm) is definitely different on the SX and is set up for moto, which again would point me to an E/XC.  Pipe and such can change that some but only to a point.

Again, not sure about '04, but typically the SX's have the single piston ring design vs. the double rings in the E/XCs, meaning more frequent top end jobs. My local KTM dealer tells me the '04 200SX is a one ring but he wasn't totally sure. 

Last edited:

OCCRA_Racer

Oct 29, 2002
Doug

Thanks for the info. Personally I think the EXC is the way to go too. But I listen to everyone and I've had some folks that felt the modified SX is the way to go. I wish they still made the 200MXC. Then I could add one more bike to the equation. LOL

I'm thinking about them spanish bikes too. So many choices. It's a good time to be dreaming about buying a dirt bike!

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I hear you on so many good bikes nowadays and rather like those Spanish bikes, also. The Ohlens suspension components, CR-based engines, and Kawasaki-based perimeter frame are nice. Last time I looked at GG though the 200, 250, and 300 all shared the same frame, unlike the 125 chassis the KTM 200 uses.

Another factor is KTM is now mainstream, having surpassed one of the Japanese 4 in dirt bike sales. If you don't like that then look harder at GG (I'm sure Jim Smackover will take care of you, too). But I kind of like multiple sources for parts, availability of aftermarket goodies, and even watching my brand bikes compete in the big AMA series.

Top Bottom