04 ktm valving

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
Thats what I did, 14 mm offset, .44 springs , summers fork brace 135 mm air chamber with 7 wt torco fork oil.

the 525 turns and feels like the front wheel is stuck to fly paper in a turn .... planted and the action cant be matched by an inverted.

blohman

Aug 2, 2002
Regarding the forks, the hispeed damping is increased slightly via the midvalve so the clicker can be run in a softer position lowering the lowspeed damping and allowing the fork to pick up small bumps better. Also the rebound stack is now a 2 stage allowing for adequate hi speed damping without getting too much low speed, this keeps the fork from packing on chop and bracking bumps.

As for as the shock, the valving stacks look like 1998 all over again. Some other things have changed such as the bypass size, piston design, clicker design, and needle length. I am surprised to hear the needle is shorter this year than last as it was already very short and combine with the straight rate springs and softer 2ndary valving it seems bottoming would be a big problem.

prcucuma

Jun 9, 2002
My spare parts catalog features a 50mm long needle for 2003 and a 57mm long needle for 2004. Now I am wondering why it should be shorter...
But I haven't opened a 2004 shock and measured it.

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
I am yet to see an 04 sx shock but i hear that the needle is indeed longer than the 03. Maybe only the exc has the short needle.

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
The 04 125sx also has a short needle. 8.0kg shock spring. A crossover on the high speed comp. shim stack.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
So all the talk of long needles was incorrect???It sounds like a 98 shock in some ways but not others.It sounds like they have tried to make the 2nd piston less active not more.Strange move considering the straight rate spring?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…