G92Joe

Apr 7, 2001
After reading the DR shootout, it left me wondering if the 04KX250 is really that cramped? Why? Can it be fixed with a bar change or forward mount bar clamps? Taller seat? Lower pegs? Or is it a scaled down frame design? I'm 5'11" and have'nt had a chance to sit on one yet to tell, but DR comments have me wondering. Thanks....

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
I don't know how different it is from the '03, which is what I have, but it is a little more cramped than my KTM (I'm also 5'11"). Just feels like the handlebars need to be a little more forward. I have an Emig Racing upper clamp in the forward position, but it could be even farther forward. Other clamps might give you that ability. I just added an SDG tall seat but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I've had one on my KTM (mostly because of the rock hard stock seat) and I like being a little higher up. Makes it less effort to stand.

zorlac_147

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
I think once you have it for a while you won't think to much about it. You always get used to a bike pretty quick. As long as you don't have two different bikes to ride like KaTooMer and myself I bet you will be very happy. I put CR high bend bars on mine. And as I can remember the upper mounts are reversable to offset them forward. There are also advantages to the "small" lightweight feeling bike like the turning and flickability in the air and on the track. Which that reveiw also states. There are some super good deals on 03's right now, they have a pretty good rebate. The 04 might be a little better but is it 1500-2000$ better? Just something to think about.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Originally posted by G92Joe
John,
How much further forward from stock do you think it needs?

Hard to tell...maybe half an inch. I'm pretty much used to it now, hardly even notice it. But I haven't ridden the KTM in awhile....

Steve47

Nov 23, 2001
I had an 03 and now have an 04!

I'm 6'0" and the 03 was a bit on the small side for me. The 04 is a bit better, they raised the seat a bit. It's really not that bad. Remember, they score the bike on the stock setup. Sometimes just a little difference like a tall seat and higher bars makes a HUGE diff. Add a tall seat in the shootout and I bet the KX scores a lot higher. It's a great handling bike and turns really good. (Especially compared to the old design)

As far as I'm concerned, the 04 is so much better than the 03. The power off the bottom is just awesome. (Just like the awesome 98 KX) The 03 power was a bit soft, the 04 is NOT. It doesn't have a lot of top end but that's the way KX are. The bottom and mid are unmatched.

As far as buying the 03 or the 04? Well, I didn't think the 03 stock motor was great, but they are so cheap right now that you can buy one, buy a pipe, a port job and a tall seat for probably cheaper than a 04.

So I think both are a good choice.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i rode a 03kx125 and it was way small for me at 6'2", but it has the pegs that can be easilly lowered 1/2inch add in a tall seat and some bars/clamps you will be good to go

G92Joe

Apr 7, 2001
I just got back from the dealer, after sitting on a 03kx250. Feels fine to me! Actually, it feels like a RM250.
Steve47, do you think the new rear suspension link on the '04 is much better ride-wise than the '03?

roadrash1

Sep 14, 2003
I just picked-up one of those new 03 KX250's for $3999! I wasn't even planning on buying a new bike, but that is an awesome price.
Has anyone tried an FMF Gnarly on the 03? What do you think?
I'm 5' 12" tall, and I thought the bike felt fine.

Jersey420

Apr 24, 2003
congrats on the KX, i love my 02 despite what everyone says. I have a Fatty and powercore II, the Fatty really cleaned up the whole powerband and made it pull some more. I've heard that the gnarly just takes MORE away from the top and doesnt quite pull like the fatty, but couldnt say as i've never ridden one with a gnarly.

roadrash1

Sep 14, 2003
Thanks Jersey,
I've got a Fatty on my 95 Cr250, and man, it rips! Trying to get input on the Gnarly, because I will mostly use it as a woods bike, and I like low-end for that.

Steve47

Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by G92Joe
Steve47, do you think the new rear suspension link on the '04 is much better ride-wise than the '03?

NO I Don't think it's better. I don't know if it's the forks or the rear but I can't get a great suspension settings. I liked the stock suspension on the 03 better. I just put bigger springs in my forks and revalved them and I'll work on a better setup tomorow night with my suspension guy. Hopefully we'll get it right cause I love the new motor.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I rode a 04 KX125 and was left feeling confused on the new rear link-it does seem to stop the bike pitching forwards and back under acceleration/breaking, but it felt a bit 'dead' and i couldnt say i prefered it to the more active feeling 03KX125.Im sure someone like bubba would prefer the 04 but i like more give in the system.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by bclapham
i rode a 03kx125 and it was way small for me at 6'2", but it has the pegs that can be easilly lowered 1/2inch add in a tall seat and some bars/clamps you will be good to go

Shhhh! Don't say that too loud, Sea Biscuit might hear you. :eek:

roadrash1

Sep 14, 2003
I use that as a put-on to my sister-in-law. She always told people she was 5' 12", because some women have issuses with being "too tall".
I think she she probably told a few guys in bars that, and they were confused!
LOL!

AARONA

Apr 11, 2003
Steve47,

How is your suspension working now? I have an '03KX250 and am looking at a really good deal on a '04, but am a little hesitant. To me the susp is more important than the motor. Once you have made adjustments, is the 04 susp better than the 03? I really like how my 03 handles. Also, is the 04 motor fast with the stock pipe? A lot of people seemed to like the FMF pipe with the power valve shim on the 03. I ran mine with the Vforce reed cage and a stock pipe/silencer. Many holeshots. Basically, if you have the time, compare the two. Inquiring minds want to know...

SPR

Jun 19, 2003
Before you start porting out the 03 KX engine try a Pro-Circuit pipe / R 304 muffler and either a RAD valve or V force reed block (I have a RAD). I put this combo on my 99 KX (same design engine) and it made the roll on power more progressive but also stronger. The last 1500 RPM is now useable (still not a screamer though) getting rid of that rounding off up top that comes standard with any KX 250. That new 04 KX 250 motor sounds great, it's about time Kawasaki got back to what they know, the king of bottom and mid power :-)

AARONA

Apr 11, 2003
I tried the PC pipe on my 03 KX and used the Delta Valve...it really killed the low to mid transition. I liked the stock pipe with the Vforce better. We have lots of rocks on out MX track, so I wonder if all the dents in my stock pipe didn't somehow tune the stocker to work better...the pipe looks like hell but it really makes good usable power.

NWMyers#5

Jan 23, 2004
Sounds like the 03 suspension is better but the 04 motor is better. I think I'll take the 2K I could save buy buying an 03 and give it some mods. I see a road trip to Blain WA in my close future... :thumb:

Top Bottom