04 or 05 YZ250 for trail bike and light MX

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
Well, it looks like I'm about 18 hours away from looking at and possibly buying an 04 YZ250 for $3400 (agreed from $3600 asking). It's in great shape, has "only 10 rides" on it, and all stock except for 773 dunlops and renthals. My question is....on a bike that will see 95% trails and maybe a little MX for fun, not racing, would the improvements on the 05 be worth the additional $600+ that used ones are selling for? Right off the bat, any stock tired YZ will need one similar to the Dunlop 773 here in soft sand FL, so there's another slight benefit with this 04 I'm looking at tomorrow.

As far as I know, the motor didn't receive any changes for 05, only the frame and other minor odds and ends. Someone please help confirm my decision to buy this 04, or sway me towards an 05. Thanks!

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
Dirtbike'n man said:
well the 05 is lighter because of the new frame which is always nice if your trail riding.

Don't take this the wrong way, but is that a joke? I figured the 3 lb difference would only be noticeable in the air, if that, especially with my 235 lb azz on it.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I have an 03, and ride with some friends on their 05 yz's. I have no complaints with my 03 (really like it), but if I was buying another bike and only $600 seperated the two, I would lean toward the 05. The frame, suspension, etc., feel noticeably better. Not night and day, but enough that I would start with the 05. Like yourself, I ride mostly trail and enduro, with a little mx from time to time. The yz is a very good choice.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
I would also go with the 05. If the difference is only $600, I think that is well worth it. If you can get a 05 for 4K that is a steal.

Erik

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
Well, there were two 05s just recently advertised for $4k, but both were long gone by the time I called. That's all for FL too for now. There's one in NC for $4200 and one in KY for $4800. Not sure how long it may be before an 05 pops up again for a good deal in Florida. Seeing how there were two advertised in the same month may be good for future 05s showing up, or it could have been coincidence.

yfz450

Aug 3, 2005
I would also go with the 05, the 04 is a good bike but the suspension upgrades on the 05 make it ride super plush on the trails. To me this is a no brainer :bang:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The guys make good points about the 05, but I prefer the steel frame. As you noticed the 3 lb weight difference is not enough to lose sleep over. The steel frame vibrates less and is less tiring to ride.

The older forks need to be revalved. The engine has not changed much for years. You can go back before 01 and still have a good engine.

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
funfactor1 said:
I have owned 04,05 and now the 06 YZ250 if you are going to spend the money the 06 rocks. Night and day difference from the 05

Since I am picking up my '06 YZ250 this evening; I'd be happy to hear your experiences with it!

I also will be using it for multiple uses (trail riding on our land and fun rides at the MX track etc).

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
Well, some of you diehard yamaha guys will hate me for this one.....but I bought a new 05 RM250 this weekend. I wanted the YZ, but couldn't find a good deal on any 05 around Florida...only Lake Hill Motors in Mississippi for $4995. I ended up finding a dealer with a left-over 05 RM250 for $4998 plus tax. After putting about 1.5 hours of riding on it, I'm very happy with my decision! I LOVE this bike. My last bike was an 89 KX500, and honestly, this thing feels nearly as fast and is night and day in handling and every other aspect over the old 500.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
For casual riding, buy the '04 and use the mony you save to send the suspension off and get the bike set up for you and your riding style. You'll be money ahead and much happier, unless it is that important to you to have the latest and greatest.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Rob, to keep us Yamaha guys happy, you could trade the Suzuki in...

Good job! I think you'll love the RM. It would be very difficult to pass up. Especially at the price you paid.

funfactor1

Mar 13, 2005
The suspension on the 06 YZ250 is awsome.The suspension on the 05 was harsh and needed revalving.The 06 eats up the square edge bumps and craves to be ridden hard.

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
Well, other than the morons at the dealership giving me the manual to an 03 RM250, I'm pleased. I cannot get over the power delivery down low. You can hear the "hit", but you can barely feel it. After a little over an hour of riding, I couldn't be happier with this thing. I'm still a Yamaha guy at heart, but so far the zook is really impressing me.

On another note, the 04 YZ250 that I was about to buy was purchased by a friend of mine. It was in major need of cleaning and had 6 month old fuel in it. After a few hours of hard work, it looks like a barely used bike. Sunday I rode the YZ after hopping off the RM...pretty big difference. The suspension was softer on the YZ and the motor was a little softer on the bottom, but otherwise felt the same.

Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
The weight diff. from '04 to '05 was 7.5 lbs. per MBA actually weighing them w/ everything but gas.

I'd go w/ the '05...wait a minute, I did go for the '05, and happily paid a lot more than $600 extra to do so!

jimt_yz400

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 25, 2000
I'd also go with the '05. I have an '04 and I have never been able to get the suspension to work well, it works ok but not like the '05's suspension. You can really get the new Kayabas to work VERY well!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom