_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
im 17, 5'9, 180#s w/o gear, and race 125 intermediate.. i have a 01 RM125 now.. i like a hard hit and smooth delivery, but do not like to short shift.. i rode an 01YZ250 on saturday and loved the powerband, it hit low and revved high with no flux inbetween.. i ride aggresive and love to use the clutch, but am looking for something that is easy to control.. if it's anything like the 01YZ250 motor, i don't need to ask any more questions and will be on my way to my suzuki dealer as soon as i can..

i've been told the 03 motor falls flat up top, which dissapoints me.. i definately need a motor that revs - supposedly the 04 RM does, but im curious if it's mag review bias?

i do not want to have a poorly running machine, or have to buy race gas to make it run good.. i need something that will be reliable and will run crisp from dusk till dawn, summer to winter..

i've narrowed it down to the 04RM250 and 03YZ250, if you own or have ridden either of these bikes, list the pros/cons of each iyo..

thanks
dan

PS - i will be racing weekly and hitting ramps/freeriding during the week..

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
i rode an 03YZ250, it has so much power off idle it kind of throws me off..

has anyone had a problem with their 03YZ250? 03RM250?

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
truespode - whats wrong, no one replies?! im positive that many riders have an 03YZ250, and 01-03RM250.. i need help guys! i will be buying the bike next friday

04-yz-250

Aug 19, 2003
-JOKA-,in london,ontario is the only place that still has a 03-YZ when Icalled about 3 week's ago. A lot better deal is to be had with the 03-RM because there are more of them around. Either bike will make you happy. By the way in london they also have phenomenal deal's on KX's if that's the route you also want to go.

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
hey, asselstine country has an 03YZ still.. if i were to buy an RM it would be 04 because it's supposedly a hell of a lot better then the 03.. for the YZ i wouldn't care if it's 03 considering the motor is basically the same as 04 and i could get the suspension revalved with the money i save.. i saw an 03YZ250 in the autotrader, brand new - they are asking for trades..

im not much a fan of the KXs
thanks for the reply

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by _j0kA_
truespode - whats wrong, no one replies?! im positive that many riders have an 03YZ250, and 01-03RM250.. i need help guys! i will be buying the bike next friday

Yeah, a lot of them probably have ridden them but they may not have had any problems or did not have anything they felt was worth sharing.

Sometimes you don't always get an answer.

Ivan

02'Cr Rider

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2001
JOKA-

I have a 03 rm250.Great bike,has good power and suspension.The engine stock doesn't have good rev on top,but great low end and mid.I put a PC pipe on and made more power in the mid to top,it likes to be revved.The yz does have a better engine,but to me doesn't have a great suspension.Either one would be a good bike.

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
CR: how much is it lacking up top? i would hate to have to change my riding style for bot-mid motor.. i love to rev them and use the clutch like a 125

02'Cr Rider

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2001
Just put the pc pipe on,then it will revved.You will have to run race gas.Pings on pump gas (91 octane here).But I do run it with the PC spark arrestor.Very fast bike.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
I have an 03 YZ250 and you will not need the clutch if you like to ride upper mid and top end. the bike is extremely powerful in this area. 250's are not like 125's so you have to change your style a bit.

The only negative about the bike is the fork. It has to be revalved if you jump big. They bottom extremely easy even with proper springs. I have my bike sprung for my weight and the compression is only 4 clicks out. the bike still bottoms. My buddy temporarily added 3 shims to bottom of the stack to make them stiffer but I can still bottom them with minimal effort. The shock is decent as I have had to change my landing style to compensate for the weak fork. I usually land rear wheel first and the shock seems to soak it up nicely. If you get them revalved asap then there is nothing negative about the bike at all.

The 04 RM is supposed to have a hard midrange hit that was said to be too much. Good throttle control will probably be a must for this bike.

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
the only way i ride is with the throttle pegged, no throttle control here!

"You will have to run race gas." - if the 04RM requires race gas, i will not buy it.. i actually just got home from the dealership $7500can, $5560us, out the door..

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
02cr: is the 03 rideable without race gas? i can't afford it nor can i justify spending that much even if i want to play ride..

02'Cr Rider

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2001
Yes,the rm can be ran on pump gas.Just as long you dont lean the bike out,and stay with the stock jetting its ok.You will learn throttle control on a rm,if you ride it pegged I have see you ride.The rm250's have instant throttle responds,and sometimes get you by suprise if you hit the gas hard,mainly on hard pack slippery stuff.You will enjoy your new rm,I did!!!!!!!!!

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
"if you ride it pegged I have see you ride." - what did you mean by that?

i simply love riding pegged.. i could care less for bottom end, i want all top! i will have the first 04rm250 sold in ontario if i pick mine up friday!

02'Cr Rider

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2001
"if you ride it pegged I have see you ride." - what did you mean by that?

I meant nothing by it.

I have some pics of my rm,cant seem to find my cr pictures.I can email them to you.

Email: trailrider121@yahoo.com

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
_j0kA_, a bit off topic but where do u ride in ontario? im looking for some good mx tracks that i wont have to travel forever to get to, btw im in st.catharines

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
i live in pickering..

for RM riders, does the 03/04RM250 powerband mimic the 01YZ250s? is it better or worse and why? i loved the 01YZ pb

Zuki

Apr 23, 2003
There's a lot of talk here on the 03 RM250.... I bought mine in March and added a FMF pipe and silencer plus V Force reeds. It pulls hard low, mid and high. If your not holding on it will jump out of your hands......

People with 03 YZ's..... Love my bike.

Steven

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
well, ive decided on a bike - the 04RM250! it's 100% final and i may be picking it up tomorrow or friday.. im stoked! i will get a ton of "new-bike" and riding pics/vids when i take it for a rip..

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
well my dad had to work thurs-fri-sat + the dealers are closed sunday, so i couldn't get it on the weekend.. im picking it up tomorrow!

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
well after reading this thread I wanted to give my .02 about my RM. I have an 02 250 and the previous owner did all the extra, Bills, porting, suspension, and much more. I finally had it out this weekend in the woods here in Michigan, since I got it 4 months ago, and I love it. All I need is a flywheel for stalling. I had 2 KDX's and a 97 CR250, and this bike handles and takes it, I got sloppy on the trail and hit some serious sand hills, and I am very impressed. Also it pulls all the way up real good, no flatend rpm curves, wish I had and extra gear, running 51 rear sprocket. Well I like it a lot after waiting a lot to ride it, corners awesome.

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
well, i just got back from the dealer - everything is all said and done.. $7600 OTD, picking it up tomorrow when pops gets home from work

Top Bottom