Blaz1

Apr 5, 2010
Hello dirt rider members.

i have a rmz 250 that has a power bomb/fmf exhaust system on it. the thing has a hell of a time starting, it'll take like 30-40 kicks to start it up. once its started it idles and runs great. the jets i have in it are 42 pilot and 172 main. what do you guys think the problem might be? i havent checked the spark but i will tomorrow.

killer454

Jan 3, 2011
*im not sure if this is it but from looking at a picture of the carb i think it has an acelerator pump on the carb.my yz450f has one to and i just give 3 full turns on the throttle then kick one time to fire it up.
*i could be wrong though,maybe the carb needs cleaned
*have you checked the valves to see if their in spec
*is the timeing chain tensioner ok
if it fires after 30-40 kicks i would say the spark is fine,sounds like its getting flooded or not getting gas to start.

id check the spark first if(ok)
check the compression if(ok)
clean the carb and inspect everything if it has an accelerator pump check that for sure the diaframs do go bad.if(ok)
check the timeing chain,tensioner(ok)
check the valves to see if they are in spec.

i dont have this bike but if i did this is what i would do

by the way have you checked you plug for rich or lean condition.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Unless it was really warm out I always found our RM-Z started easiest after 2 quick blips of the throttle, then put on the choke take hand off the throttle and kick.

racer921

Oct 20, 2010
Blaz1 said:
Hello dirt rider members.

i have a rmz 250 that has a power bomb/fmf exhaust system on it. the thing has a hell of a time starting, it'll take like 30-40 kicks to start it up. once its started it idles and runs great. the jets i have in it are 42 pilot and 172 main. what do you guys think the problem might be? i havent checked the spark but i will tomorrow.

do you take it to "top dead center" before you try and kick it?
If not then try that it will make things so much easier

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
check your valve clearances
if those are in check, clean the pilot
clean the hot start plunger and make sure there is slack in the cable
adjust the fuel screw. if you are more than 2.5 turns out, up the pilot.

Top Bottom