yam_rider125

Mar 5, 2007
hello my name is toby, and im 14. i have a 2004 yamaha ttr 125l, im tired of the wimpy power so i was wondering what i could do to get speed and also i was wondering how do i know what size fork will fit on my suspension from a cr 80 or somethin so if you could write back and tell me some mods and suspension
Thanks Toby :cool:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Toby unfortunately you may have hit the peak on your ttr125. It is a very fun bike and great to learn on but very limited if you are looking for speed or jumping. As far as modding it out there are ways to go (big lou is an expert at this) but you might be better off saving your money and getting an 85 or a 2stroke 125.

B

biglou

Biggest bang for the buck-Flywheel reduction (about $50-90). Next, BBR 150cc big bore kit ($399). BBR frame cradle is a must if you're jumping ($90?), and BBR sells stiffer springs for about $90 for each end.

yam_rider125

Mar 5, 2007
thanks alot. if i find out that all the mods is to much i think i will just go by a yz85. and i was wondering if either of you knew where i could get a decent priced and decent condition bike at?? also i live in oklahoma if that would help anything
Toby

Last edited:

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Another option -- and a very good one -- is the KX100; even though I'm not a big Kawi fan, it's a great bike that nicely splits that difference. The suspension, brakes, power, cooling, etc. are in a whole different league than your TTR and it also weighs a lot less. Might want to read THIS

yam_rider125

Mar 5, 2007
i read the thing about the kx100...and basically the only class i could race with that is the supermini class and to start out racing i dont think i would want to do that..so is there anything else you could tell me about

Jun 5, 2006
With the info you have given so far, i'd say your best bet would be a 85 or 85 expert/larger version. Or you could wait a little while into you grow a few more inches and you would fit on a 125.

yam_rider125

Mar 5, 2007
Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'2", 125
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
on my ttr i ride it really hard so im pretty aggressive and very physical
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
mx tracks and with friends
4) Do you have any riding experience?
yes i have been riding since i was six
5) Do you think you will race ?
yes eventually
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
my dad is a mechanic so he will do it
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
any brand and 2 stroke(good learner bikes)
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry
wheelsport of ponca city kawasaki and suzuki and i live about 45 mins away from stillwater and they have alot of shops
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
1500 to 2500
10) Do you live in California?
No, Oklahoma
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
i have never raced but i know everything about it and i need something that i will be able to touch the ground without starting blocks

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
If racing is what you want , then get the 85. Like you said the kx100 only races supermini, just like my 150R.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
since you live closest to a Kawasaki/Suzuki dealer, you might want to wait till you grow 2 in. to buy a 125. i bought my 125 when i was 13 y/o, 5'4'', and i was lighter than you :) . the KX125 is the 2nd smallest 125, next to the KTM, out there. for the price range you listed, you could probably find a good 04' on either cycletrader.com or evilbay. the Yamaha is the tallest stock dirt bike, so stay away from the YZ's. the CR125 had the weakest power output from 2000-2004 and the KTM is a race bike, but it wouldnt be a good starting bike seeing that it has the worst stock suspension setup, and its the heaviest. the Suzuki has mid-range, while the Kawasaki has low-end, but the timing of the powerband can be changed by jetting and/or putting on a pipe/silencer :nod: . also, the KX's and RM's are the cheapest 125s right now, so grab one once you get a tid bit taller :) .

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Theyre different colors and thats about it.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Since you say you want to race EVENTUALLY, how about you pick up a good used bike to work on skills on, then worry about that later? I say this because you're probably going to grow quite a bit by the time you race, and by then you'll have a better idea what you want, what the latest class rules are, etc. I'm back to the KX100 recommendation based on what you posted and what I just typed. Since they're such a tweener bike, they can be picked up used for a good deal, ridden a year or so, then probably sold for what you paid for it.

Doug

yam_rider125

Mar 5, 2007
ok ill look at them..but ive been reading some reviews and i was wondering if the kx100 is faster than the kx85 bc alot of people said that is isnt??

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
The KX100 makes less peak HP but more peak torque. More torque makes it easier to ride over a wider RPM range, which makes it especially nice in the woods (especially if you add a good flywheel weight).

And that's stock. It's pretty well known the KX100 really benefits from some simple port clean-up due to it's larger cylinder in the same case, so it can make even more.

Make sure you try it on for size, along with a 125. I think you'll find it pretty perfect for your height and more confidence inspiring so you can build your skills.

maallenmi

Mar 6, 2007
I think that you should get a KX100 im 13 and just got one and I too just got out of the TTR. If the KX has too much power you can also get a flywheel for it to make iy less zippy thats what im doing.

By the way im 4' 11"

yam_rider125

Mar 5, 2007
actually my friend has the new honda 150r and hes gonna outgrow it sooner or later and i think im just gonna wait and but it from him and learn on that and then get a 250f and race

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
yam_rider125 said:
actually my friend has the new honda 150r and hes gonna outgrow it sooner or later and i think im just gonna wait and but it from him and learn on that and then get a 250f and race

youre gonna outgrow it just like him and itll be sooner than you think. at 14 y/o, youre going to shoot up height wise and youll be tired of the bike and youll be wanting more in a couple of months.

Top Bottom