tmbo

Dec 16, 2002
I just purchased a new 03 and 04 yz 85 any helpful tips or info on what or what not to do? jetting,lowering,suspension,getting ready to race stock class?

okieguy

Apr 3, 2002
We have the 03 and it has been a great bike.

It is pretty good out of the box. We went to a 135 main jet and it seemed to help, my son does not ride it tapped out all the time and it helps not fouling plugs.

Just set the suspension up and go race. Also might want to replace the stock handlebars they will be gone after the first fall.

Guy

tmbo

Dec 16, 2002
done figured that one out, yes. My main question now is lowering and fork and shock springs for light rider any suggestions on where to get lighter springs, oil weight or amount?

okieguy

Apr 3, 2002
Yes it is cold natured but not to bad, just have baby it at first.

When we started out my son was 80 pounds soaking wet, plus a little short, I dropped the triple clamps as far as I could and set the sag then backed off the compression & rebound. (adjusting rebound helps the most as they hop around quite a bit on the stock setting)

I soon raised the triple clamps back up a little because it made the front end too twitchy.

If that does not work then you can always take the suspension into a good suspension shop and have them revalve or change the spring rates. On Race Tech internet site you can put in his weight and what type of riding and it will give you suggested spring rates.

My son now weighs about 100 and the stock suspension is still doing fine, just adjust the sag every now and then.

Guy

wade450f

Apr 20, 2003
I just put the devol lowering link ($99) on my sons
2003 yz85...2" lower.
Have not ridden it yet, but appears it will make a huge
difference on the tight woods trails we ride

Top Bottom