sharp

Sep 30, 2001
OK, I am stepping into the twilight zone here and haven't a clue. My riding buddy just got a YZ250F and I rode it. I shouldn't have done it.

I would like to get a good understanding of the performance differences between the WR and the YZ as it would relate to my riding - pokey, southeastern woods riding with copious amounts of single track.

I absolutely love the YZ motor and understand you can equip a WR w/a YZ cam. Are there good woods suspension solutions for the YZ? Is the WR valving different? Is the 20 lb difference between the two noticeable? The carburator looked scary. Is jetting a challenge? The YZ was easy to start except when it was dumped once, and then another time when it was stalled during a creek crossing. I am wondering if even the e-start on a WR would have helped in those situations (my 2-stroke just needs one kick most of the time maybe two). Are the 4-strokes more or less prone to stall during the tight woods sections?

I don't need lights. I don't think I need the magic button but want to here your testimonies to see if its is worth the 20 lbs extra. I need plush suspenders and maybe a bigger tank (25 to 35 mi between fillups for enduros).

Thanks for your comments.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Meet me for a ride sometime. I have a 2003 WR250F that just happens to be for sale. Cheap, too.

I've had both bikes, but the YZ was a PITA to ride on tight singletrack. First gear was just way too high for places like Clanton and also on slow, technical hillclimbs. The WR has plenty of motor with minimal futzing required. I performed all the free mods on it, and it rips. If you need more, the cams can be re-timed to YZ specs.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Exactly as JP said. The cam is the same, it's just how it's clocked/timed. WR stands for Wide Ratio, as in transmission. Close ratio boxes are great for tracks and dragstrips so you don't lose much power between shifts but wide ratios are what you want off road for versatility. Having a low first gear for picking through snotty sections and spacing them out to a nice top gear for fire roads is the idea. The WR also has 18" rear wheel and spark arrestor, not to mention the magic button. These things all add weight but you'll be putting it back on that YZF anyway.

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser
Meet me for a ride sometime.

JP,

I believe I rode your bike at Maplesville (about a year ago w/Lemming and KDXfile). It seemed a bit whimpy. What have you done to it since then?

The YZ did seem like first gear would be too much. Does the WR shift as smooth as the YZ?

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Man, you can't insult me. :)

I remember meeting you now. That was only 4 or 5 months ago. I believe the baffle was still in the bike at maplesville, but i could be wrong. If you really want more power, you can spend $100 on a YZ cam and have a YZ motor. It has enough power to haul my ass around as it is, but some of you fast guys might need more. Also, I've never even attempted to jet the thing. There's more power to be had with a little tweaking.

Email me at larlam@bellsouth.net if you want to try it out.

Top Bottom