_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
i bought an 04RM250 mon, picked it up tues.. i only have about 10 minutes on it so far (sick), but my first impression was that this bike is perfect! having ridden many 250s lately (to decide if i wanted one or not, incld an almost new 03YZ250), this is by far the best overall bike i've ever ridden..

motor - 9/10
the motor characteristic (for a 2 stroke) summed up in one word (one number :)) is '4 stroke'. the power starts right off idle but comes on controllably, unlike the YZ where it leaps forward.. mid range is excellent and top end is good.. if there was more overrev i would have rated this motor 10/10 - comparingly, the 03YZ250 an 8/10 for it's extremely snappy motor with almost uncontrolable (for me?) bottom end..

suspension - 10/10!
im 5'9, 180lbs w/o gear, raced 125 junior but now 125/250 intermediate.. i've never ridden stock or modified suspension as good as this! the bike tracks incredibly well and although somewhat dancy over chop (like any other RM - once your used to it like me, its not a problem), it stays straight and soaks up everything in it's way.. susp is very balanced for jumping.. cornering is EASIER then on my 01RM125.. in all honesty, this bike feels lighter both on the ground and in the air then my 125 - i can even put it on a stand with less effort.. one reason as to why i think it feels that way is that it sits about 1/2 to 1 inch lower then my 125, contributing to a lower CG? either way, this suspension rocks!

brakes - front 8/10, rear 9/10
front - coming off my 01RM125 without the honda style routing, this brake came across as stupidly powerful.. i actually slid out the first time i used it going into a corner.. in brand new, stock condition this binder is too powerful for my liking.. however, im sure it will break in over time or i will get used to it..
rear - the rear is very controlable and comforting.. it has a nice feel for accuracy and is strong.. i like it

shifting - 10/10
no hitches while shifting under power, always a suzuki strong point in my opinion.. a++

misc
seat foam is MUCH stiffer then my 01, i kind of like it too.. i was under the impression that they were to come with gripper covers, but mine didn't..? this bike is very comfortable from the moment you sit on it.. build quality is excellent.. the exel rims are a plus.. this bike looks amazing in person and the graphics seem to be thicker then the 03 models.. rear intergrated master cylinder is HUGE, but will definately not overheat.. the spare parts kit is welcome, incld gaskets/piston/bearing/cclips/3 rings/spoke wrench/stickers/etc.. the on the fly adjuster is VERY easy to adjust, however i think it may move automatically while riding over chop.. it's almost too easy to adjust, and a slight jar could spin it a bit..

overall - this is my pick for the winner of the 04 2 stroke 250 shootout (still don't want a 4 stroke).. the YZ has a very fast motor, but the stock forks/shock arn't as good as the RM.. oh yeah, this bike runs PERFECT on 91 PUMP gas with no hitch in the jetting.. A+++

i can't think of anything else to say, so if you have any questions ask me!! i want to get pics today, but i dont know if my friend will make it over with his dig cam.. DAN

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Thanks for the write up. From what I have been reading the new RM250 is going to be the contender this year. Now I just have to convince my wife that my '01 needs to be replaced...;)

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
Originally posted by RM_guy Now I just have to convince my wife that my '01 needs to be replaced...;) [/B]

start convincing! i figured it was time for my 01 to go also, and im glad i did! funny thing is, i still have it.. , but until someone buys it i have 2 bikes :D

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
My '01 suspension has been done by MX Tech and the motor by Eric and it runs like a champ so (in my mind) it is just as good as the newer bikes. If I find out otherwise I may crack up :confused:

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
:D

i just put a Y** hour meter on my bike, i dont know if i did it right tho.. the lead wire slides up and down my plug wire, is that supposed to happen? i used zip ties and pulled them as tight as i could...? what happens if the lead wire touches some of the electrical wires on my bike?

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
So is this ride review based on the 10 minute ride in the parking lot at the dealership??

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
its based on a ride at the dealership, but not in the parking lot.. the dealership is located in the country, hence "Asselstine Country," and they have at track right behind it to practice on..

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
well i picked it up again tonight, supposedly it's all fixed.. the old cylinder had a crack right through and to the inside of the cylinder :o

im racing MX tomorrow, ill let you know how it went and get pics/vids

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
went racing today! did intermediate and for fun junior.. it all started with breaking the bike in during practice.. after that i went on to holeshot 3 motos by 3-4 bike lengths each, and finished 2nd-2nd-2nd-dnf.. for the DNF, i got my right arm/shoulder landed on and it dropped my wrist.. the bike shot away like a bullet and cartwheeled 3-4 times over the rhythm section - finally landing upside down.. now the bike looks old and i have to fix a few things..
im buying (cause i need them):
brake lever
pro taper bars/grips
universal mounts
sdg seat (mines ripped to pieces)
new rear fender (mangled)
fix the front end, its twisted in the clamps
bend the subframe up

it should be fixed for next weekend! I LOVE THIS BIKE! the motor is second to none (even the 04YZ250), the suspension sucks everything up (3rd gear roll on/blip over a small gap = went 30ft or so too far) but is a little harsh on braking bumps (still brand new, with around 50 mins total on the bike).. my friend also likes the bike, coming from a 97cr125, and is buying one in the next couple of months!

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
04RM250 RACE review

hey, picked my 04RM250 up last night with the new cylinder in tact.. first things first, this was my first time actually riding the 250, it was my first time on the track, and it was my first race in over a year and a half.. the good news is that this bike is AMAZING.. it is far superior to any other 250 i have ridden.. the motor isnt as jumpy as a YZ, which in my opinon is a plus for the RM, but it pumps out serious ponies.. i broke the bike in during practice and the first junior moto.. i raced 125/250 (gp) intermediate (125/250B for americans) and holeshotted 3 out of 3 races that i actually tried instead of breaking it in.. i finished 2nd-2nd-2nd-dnf, with the dnf being a bad crash that almost left me in tears.. i was leading the last moto of the day (these are 15minutes + 1 lap motos, longer then the usual 10+1 that im used to) and the guy behind me gooned it up in the rhythm section and jumped on my right arm, causing me to pin it and let the bike fly over the double-double-single while cartwheeling numerous times and eventually landing upside down.. luckily im not phsyically hurt, but the mental pain really sucks.. just to think, my bike was brand new this morning and it's a total mess.. here's a list of the stuff that needs replacing

bent front brake lever
pretzled stock bars
dinged the fork tubes
****ed all the plastic
bent the front axle
bent the sub frame
cracked the rear fender
tweaked the front fender
tweaked the silencer (its monsterous for a 2 stroke!!!)
cracked the side number plates
jammed the clutch lever
and bent seat pan/ripped a huge chunk of seat foam out/ripped the seat cover in half

anyway, IM REALLY HAPPY with this bike and i DEFINATELY reccomend it in case you were thinking about it (even if you werent).. its head and shoulders above previous year RM250s and runs perfect on pump gas with yamalube 32:1.. jetting is almost spot on, but ill play with it some when i get it fixed.. im going to order the parts tomorrow and hopefully straighten everything out.. id like to get pics of the carnage, but i dont think i can borrow my friends dig cam... either way, ill be back in action soon.. i can't wait :2gunsfiring: :squarecycle: 8) :shock: :D

copy + paste from the other post to clean it up

btw, i feel that the 250 sort of saved my life today! if the bike didnt shoot out from my arms (ie: like a 125) then i would have gone along for the ride and most likely face planted in the rhythm/whoop section.. if your thinking about getting a 125 over a 250/vice versa, definately go with the 250.. i had the same dilemma and am TOO PLEASED to go with the 250.. im 16, 185lbs with out gear, and have a fair of amount of experience.. my only complaint about the bike stock is that it hops around over braking bumps and gets a fair amount of head shake (may be due to the fact that im used to a 125).. the power is unbelievable, i can roll it on in fourth gear and it pulls strong with no bogging.. the suspension is plush and perfect for my weight with a little tuning.. this bike can be revved or short shifted, it's amazing.. in my opinion, its the best 2 stroke motocross bike EVER made

it corners better then my 125 and feels lighter on the ground, however you can notice the extra weight in the air..i can't wait to go riding again, i want to see some vids and how it looks! i was haulin :2gunsfiring:

one of my friends mentioned that when i passed a guy in front of me (on an 02yz250f) down the straight that it looked like he stopped and went backwards! it was specificly relating to the time when i clicked it into fourth gear (only once - scary as FUK with the braking bumps later in the moto) .. i figured it looked good, you know - i passed him and made a few bike lengths before the corner.. but then people i dont even know started coming up to me and were like "holy ****, when you passed that guy it looked like he stopped and went backward," exactly what my friend said! after that i started thinkin and i think it finally set in how fast i was going :lol: (no joke btw)

if you have any questions reply, ill get back to you asap!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
glad things worked out JOKA!:)

can you please do me a favour? can you let me know the stock spring rates and also the specified length of the front springs from the manual.

thanks

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
here they are

stock spring rate - 4.4 N/mm (0.44 kgf/mm)
front fork spring free length - 494 mm (19.45 in), limit - 487 mm (19.17)

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
interesting, the older rm125s used shorter springs than that, it seems like the suzuki showa forks are now the same as the honda ones

thanks

tchamberlain

Mar 28, 2002
jokA,
I have a 2002 YZ250 and love it. Race 250 nov, +30 nov. I'm wondering if you have ridden an 02/03 YZ250 and how your RM compares to it. My bike has tons of roll on power too. Those yellow rides sure look good.
Tim

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
ive recently ridden 01/02/03 YZ250s.. the yamaha has power on tap (literally jumps forward when you touch the throttle), i don't like that as i find it hard to control.. the suzuki has controlable roll on power and tons of power everywhere else.. in my opinion, YZ's have "dead" stock suspension.. it's definately not as good as my RMs.. cornering on both are about the same, but the suzuki does come out on top.. i was trying to decide between a YZ and RM, went with the RM, and couldn't have been happier.. im glad i didn't buy the yami

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Sorry off topic but I couldn't help it, looks like the resident yamaha action freakazoid is back in action. "waves hand like a jedi" you will buy a yamaha cause they are the best.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Used dirt bikes aren't worth a plugged nickel anyway, so you might as well buy your favorite brand and ride the crap out of it. :moon:

02'Cr Rider

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2001
Yamahas do hold a little better value,why I dont know.To me Yz's are ok,I think it comes down to how comfortable you are on any bike.They all have a flaw in them somewhere.One day they will make the perfect bike,but for now I like my RM.

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Joker,
What specifically happened to the motor when you first got the bike? I couldn't open the link you included. I'm also interested in an 04 RM250 but have always heard about Suzuki quality issues. I'd freak if I bought a new one and found a cracked cylinder. Please advise.

Thanks

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
hey, there was a casting flaw and what happened was an air bubble surprisingly went right through the cylinder where it's stamped 249cm3
the dealer took it back and phone suzuki immediately, they replaced the cylinder free of charge (parts/labour) and i got a $100 from suzuki and the shop owner.. it runs perfectly fine from what i can tell, i can let you know more when i get more hours on the bike.. ive previously owned a 2001 RM125 and raced it for a season and a half, not a single problem with the bike other then a weak stock clutch basket.. i absolutely love my RM250 and you should too!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom