jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
05 CRF250R oil question

please tell me if this is right. Alright, i have my buddies 05 CRF250R right now and he wants me to change the engine and transmission oil. I know where to drian the engine oil (under the engine) and the transmisson oil is on the left bottom side right in front of the shirter right? He told me that the total amout of oil for both the engine and transmission would be about 1 1/2 quarts half for the engine and half for the transmission. I put the engine oil on the right side and the transmission oil on the left side where the dip stick is right? but what does the dip stick on the left side measure, the engine or transmission?

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
jtm994 said:
I put the engine oil on the right side and the transmission oil on the left side where the dip stick is right? but what does the dip stick on the left side measure, the engine or transmission?

The engine oil goes in the left side and the trans oil in the right side. The dip stick measures engine oil. I would recommend looking at a service or owners manual for the correct amount of oil for the transmission.

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
Ol'89r said:
The engine oil goes in the left side and the trans oil in the right side. The dip stick measures engine oil. I would recommend looking at a service or owners manual for the correct amount of oil for the transmission.
what kind of oil goes in the transmission

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
jtm994 said:
what kind of oil goes in the transmission

I have had good luck with Mobil 1 10W30. If he doesn't want to go with the expense of the synthetic oil, any good grade of 10W 30 will work. Main thing is to change it often.

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
Ol'89r said:
I have had good luck with Mobil 1 10W30. If he doesn't want to go with the expense of the synthetic oil, any good grade of 10W 30 will work. Main thing is to change it often.
so the engine is 10W 40 and the transmission is 10W 30 or could he put 10W 40 in both?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
jtm994 said:
so the engine is 10W 40 and the transmission is 10W 30 or could he put 10W 40 in both?

Honda recommends 10W30 in both in cold weather and 10W40 in hotter conditions. I prefer 10W30 in the transmission due to the clutch. Clutches like thinner oil.

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
Can anyone answer this question... i dont have the service manual

When changing the transmission oil on a 05 CRF250 how much do i put back in?

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
There is a hex head screw with a philips slot in it and a brass washer just below the water pump on the lower right side(clutch side) of the engine. This serves as an overflow. Fill until the oil starts to come out of the hole. Be sure to wait until it stops coming out before putting the screw back in because it takes a while for the oil to drain through the small hole. Otherwise it may be left with too much oil in it. :cool:

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
mafols said:
There is a hex head screw with a philips slot in it and a brass washer just below the water pump on the lower right side(clutch side) of the engine. This serves as an overflow. Fill until the oil starts to come out of the hole. Be sure to wait until it stops coming out before putting the screw back in because it takes a while for the oil to drain through the small hole. Otherwise it may be left with too much oil in it. :cool:
ok thanks, i think i found it

bwood

Mar 21, 2004
I know this is a little late but, Honda recommends using 10w-40 that are not labeled as energy conserving. Most all oils sold at any auto parts stores are energy conserving oils and contain chemicals that could be potentially harmful to the engine and transmission. On the back of the bottle there is circle that contains a API rating, it should be SJ, SAE 10W-40.

In the engine side the I would recommend Honda GN4 convential oil (black bottle), Honda HP4 non-moly synthetic oil (gold bottle) or Honda HP4M moly based synthetic oil (silver bottle). I have used HP4M since mine was new.

The engine should be refilled with 690 ml/cc of oil after a drain and filter change or 660 ml/cc with a oil change only. The oil should be checked 3 min after the engine has been turned off after warming up. It should read about 2/3 up the dipstick, this is just right (it leaves enough room for the oil to expand while running hard and hot).

The check screw on the side of the transmission unfortunately can not be trusted. Oil will run out at about 500-550 ml/cc and will leave the transmission low. You will notice a whine in the middle of the rpms and up. This is the kickstarter and idle gears spinning under lubed. The trans requires 600 ml/cc of oil. I run mine about 625-650 ml/cc. I would recommend Honda GN4 oil or HP4 non-moly synthetic oil. You can also use Honda HP Transmission fluid (red bottle 85w-90 High Performance Gear Oil). I use the HP4.

You don't have to use Honda chemicals but, be careful what you do use. Some automotive oils use "slickeners" to enhance their performance and will cause a wet clutch to slip. Don't use the HP4M in the trans, it contains moly (slickener) that will ruin a clutch but is good for the crank. I would not recommend normal automotive trans fluids either, they mostly are thinner hydralic fluids that are made to pass through tight passages and valve bodies while still lubing the gears. Trying to get out cheap could cost a lot more that $16 for the right oils. Service Honda Engine Page

Top Bottom