'05 Gas Gas 300ec ride report

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Picked up my new GG 300 Saturday and rode it Sunday and Monday. Sunday was at a cross-country track with some motocross jumps, Monday out in the woods. Very nice, smooth power, but plenty of it if you ride it on the pipe. It comes on the pipe high in the mid-range, so if you don't want the hit, you can easily avoid it. Lugs nicely, though it doesn't have as much power down low as my old KTM 300 did (1999), but it has more over-rev. It seems less tiring to ride, with a softer low end yank, but I could see myself putting a torque pipe on it eventually. For now, I'm just enjoying riding it. The suspension is fantastic in the woods, and works fine on small jumps (which are all I do). The Marzocchi Shiver forks are great, and the Ohlins shock is, well, it's an Ohlins. The bike soaks up everything well, even big hits, and it feels more planted to the ground than my '01 YZ250 ever did, even with Race Tech suspension work. Steering is crisp and light. It's the best handling bike I've ridden. I still love my KTM 400SX--what an amazing motor! But I wanted a two-stroke just for fun, and this one is a great bike.

Matt R

Oct 9, 2004
Glad you like your new bike! GasGas makes great woods bikes. The lack of power you describe down low can be misleading. The more you ride the bike, you will realize that you are getting better traction in slippery stuff and end up going faster. True, the power charasteristics are different from your other bikes, but it was designed for maximum traction.

In case you don't know, there is a great site dedicated to GasGas. Check out Smackover Motorsports website and the Talking Smack forum. You will get a lot of help from the other Gassers online.

roostafish

Jul 14, 2000
If you want to add to that low end power, and get unbelievable throttle response, you should get an LTR power valve cover and the LTR jetting kit. I was shocked at the difference it made on my GG 250.

Dave.Smith

Dec 15, 2002
Cool! 'Glad you like your new ride. I really like my '03. Motowest has some CF reeds that are supposed to give some more bark off the bottom without affecting the top end. The FMF Gnarly, with the exception of metal thickness, is exactly like the pipe you have now - GMP found that out the hard way. Have fun.

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Jim, congrats on the Gasser, I can't wait to break her in fer ya!

BrianVT

Sep 24, 2004
Congrats ! Glad you like it.
I'm stewing here reading alot of great stuff about the EC300. I just bought an '03
but am nursing a broken tib/fib so I'm not even able to sit on the bike. :-(
I'm switching from an XR650R, so I imagine I'll have some impressions to voice
here after I try the Gasser.
Keep the stories/reviews coming !

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
Clarke is now making a tank for your GasGas. It nice because not only is it a bit larger, you can get it in natural and see your fuel quanity as you ride. You can also tell when it's about to flood over BEFORE it happens.

Grady, I see you own a 03 KTM 525 SX. How has it held up for you? I have an chance to get one and I would like to know what to watch out for. This one is brand new never been riden for around $4500.

Britt

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Hey Jim, this is the KTM forum. We don't need any GG propoganda, mmkay? Sheesh.

[banner]lame[/banner]

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
The world does not revolve around KTM this forum is listed as

Come on in and try something with a European flavor. KTM, Husaberg, Husky, Gas-Gas and more are on the menu. Can't we all just get along. If not we should all be riding honda 4 strokes
:)

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
kx200 said:
The world does not revolve around KTM this forum is listed as

Come on in and try something with a European flavor. KTM, Husaberg, Husky, Gas-Gas and more are on the menu. Can't we all just get along. If not we should all be riding honda 4 strokes
:)

but note that KTM is listed first, for a reason. Methinks this JMD character is a poser

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Brian said:
but note that KTM is listed first, for a reason. Methinks this JMD character is a poser

Who is this 'Brian' character anyway, he sounds a lot like that Stan Flemmings fella :)

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Its a travesty that the powers that be allowed this name switching. You'll always be Stan in my book. Maybe I'll start a bring back Stan petition..........

Oh, JMD, since this is your thread and all. Glad to see you're back on the bike.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Rob, I'm 6'1" and all arms and legs. With some minor tweaks, my EC250 fits like a glove now. The '04 and newer models have two bar clamp mounting positions that when moved to the forward position really open up the cockpit. Taller seats are also available, as well as lowered pegs (aftermarket or modified stockers).

gas gas jack

Nov 7, 2001
Hi JMD, glad to see you on the new gasser 300! that is truely an awesome bike, stock, and easy to improve as well! -if a "hit" on the bottom was asked for,you might try pulling out the stock reed spacer (before springing for a pipe,...), and/or trying the thinner spacer of the MX250- either of these will "enhance" the type of power delivery "off the bottom". after about 12 hours, those forks can be cleaned, and you might pay attention to the rebound valve bushing(it seems to wear quickly, but it's inexpensive!); try Spectro 125/150(7 wt), at 110-120mm, as a starting point. those forks just get better as you get some time on them! jack

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Reel good friend of mine who is riding one of the DE bikes from the factory just got his 05 300. Very different from the KTM 300. I still find the rider compartment too tight even with the aftermarket triple clamps, but that is my preference. The bike didn't have the snap these AA guys are looking for so he removed some 11 ounces from something on the clutch side and shaved the head .025". Removed a spacer on the intake side and jetting. He claims it pulls much better. Heads up I can still beat him in a Drag race, I weigh 35 lbs more than him, but as soon as the trail turns he smokes me, of course he could do that on TTR if he wanted to. The front brakes on the bike are killer they will put you on your head with one finger. The clutch also feels lighter than my KTM.

Stanbagger, leave the GG guys alone. :nener:

Top Bottom