05 kdx 220 how do i swap fork springs???

philrat

May 20, 2008
i bought a pair of fredette racing springs for my 05 kdx200. i could not get the fork cap nut to comer off it was somehow attaced to the existing spring. i called fredette but he is out of the shop. why did the powers the be at kawi decide to remove the fork oil drain screw??? any help would be great about now. thx in advance. pr

fruitfarmer7

May 6, 2008
Went through that myself, got the service so it explained it there. Once you unscrew the caps, and before doing this release the upper tube clamp bolts, the thing is attached to the dampening rod, unusual, anyway you have to drop the front end of the bike, release the jack or whatever you have supporting the frame. The dampening rods and then spring will appear above the fork tubes. Next you will have to push the spacer down slip a 17mm wrench to hold the jam nut on the dampener rod and remove the fork cap, via 30mm socket or wrench. withdraw the springs slowly to leave as much oil in forks as possible, if you want to change the oil, you evidently have to pull the tube and dump it out. The dampening rod will drop back down in the tube, but can be retrieved fairly easily with a magnet or looped wire. To reinstall you are going to have to use some wire to hold the dampening rod up and then thread it through the spring and spacer, the spacer can be pulled down and held by sliding it under the dampening rod jam nut, you may have to raise or lower the front end of the bike to expedite this. You may have to slide some needle nose or something else between the jamb nut on the dampner rod and the spacer (tube) in order to hold and tighten the cap nut and the jamb nut. Sure is more complicated than the other bikes I've owned. Good luck.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Loosen the upper triple clamp bolts, then loosen the fork caps.

Use a fork spring holder to hold down the spring, so you can loosen the fork cap from the nut. The cap is not tightened down onto the rod, the nut is tightened up onto the cap. The cap is only tightened down loosely, finger tight. Loosening the nut allows the cap to sping off.

A fork oil drain screw doesn't allow all the gunk to come out of the forks, which is very important on cartridge forks, but not so critical on damper rod forks.

Top Bottom