05 KDX200 coolant questions...

sether

Aug 24, 2004
I have a 05 KDX200. On yesterdays ride my KDX blew a tablespoon or so of coolant out the overflow tube which is not excessive but it concerns me. Is this normal? I weigh 215lbs and had just finished a fairly steep uphill desert sandwash run of 4 miles doing between 25-40mph the whole time. I assume the little KDX is working pretty hard in these conditions but as long as I kept it the right gear (on the pipe) it screamed its way up the wash with no complaints. I'm running FMF Desert pipe, stock jetting, snorkel removed, airbox lid on, elevation was between 2500 and 3500 feet. I pulled my plug and noticed it is not the same dark tan it had been in warmer weather. It was VERY light tan almost white in color. Was I running lean? It was 49 degrees on the ride yesterday. Does temp affect the jetting that much? Could this have caused my bike to run hot causing the coolant overflow?

I have never topped off the coolant since I bought it. What is the correct collant for it? What do you guys use? :blah:

Thanks in advance.

TriniG

Feb 5, 2002
My 220 overheats under grueling conditions. Especially the muddy sticky stuff. I use Redline "Wetter Water" and had to do a radiator mod by hooking up 2 computer fans on the left radiator. Works like a charm.

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
Riding under heavy load conditions is going to heat the engine up a lot more than normal riding . Which will cause a little loss of coolent .

I have a 2006 and have to top up every couple months .

sether

Aug 24, 2004
sether said:
Great! What's the name of it? Anti-Wal-freeze or ?

Does the KDX use standard "green" color auto store anti-freeze like Prestone or does it need a special "don't eat aluminum" type? :coocoo:

outrgus

Jan 15, 2003
Try some "evans' coolant. Your bike will never overheat again.
Try searcing the forum for evan coolant, its a good read with lots of info.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
sether said:
Does the KDX use standard "green" color auto store anti-freeze like Prestone or does it need a special "don't eat aluminum" type? :coocoo:

Use the type that is recommended for aluminum.
Also, temps do affect jetting.
Regarding the Plug, you have to look down in toward the base of the ceramic and look for a color ring-(1-2mm).
The top part is not really acurate.

MY KDX 220 R

Feb 9, 2005
I run Kawachem coolant, mixed 50 / 50 with distilled water, never had a problem.
I also keep a mixed batch in my accessories, just in case.
My 220 also has the Devol radiator guards which some claim to effect cooling, no problems here.

sether

Aug 24, 2004
MY KDX 220 R said:
I run Kawachem coolant, mixed 50 / 50 with distilled water, never had a problem.
I also keep a mixed batch in my accessories, just in case.
My 220 also has the Devol radiator guards which some claim to effect cooling, no problems here.

Just the answer I was looking for! Thanks ordered some tonight from Ron Ayers. :laugh:

Top Bottom