yam 3

May 19, 2000
After the cartrige has been bled off the damper rod is not extending all of the way back out, it only comes out halfway. Is this normal? They tried the bleed process several times with the same result. The forks also seem to have alot of stiction. They don't compress smoothly and stay sucked down in the travel like a couple of inches. Anybody have this problem? I have read Terry's post on the bleed process and followed it, but no difference. :bang:

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
Try this method from Mop

{ I have had luck with bleeding the inner chamber of the Kayaba fork by filling and bleeding the cartridge and piston rod, then installing the base valve ass'y (with the pre-load increased) just deep enough to squirt oil out of the side holes. Then I put the whole cartridge in a vise at about a 60 degree angle with the hole in the cartridge tank up. I push against the base valve while compressing the piston rod slowly.
There will be a "farting" sound as the air trapped beneath the free piston cavity escapes because of the angle the cartridge is at. I slowly stroke the piston rod up and down a few times until I compress it to a little before full stroke. Then I extend the rod and screw in the base valve. When done properly, this is the best way I've found to bleed the air out and have a fully extended rod after bleeding it and charging the rod full stroke...}

Hope this helps

Russ

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Yam 3 it should fully extend after bleeding. Maybe you didn't push up the rod(pressurize the chamber) while installing the base valve?

yam 3

May 19, 2000
thanks for the replies, it is actually on a friends bike. Mine turned out ok. Just gotta follow the directions.

Top Bottom