steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
I spent the day today riding the new 05 RM 250 and there have been some improvements over the 04. Since I had an 04 and most people already have heard/read what a great bike it is. I'll just list the changes I felt from the 04 to 05.

First off is the rear shock, for 05 it feels like its been valved aftermarket, just a great shock and better than the real good 04 shock. It has the same firm feel but has added plushness, it was very noticeable.

Next the motor, nice increase in bottom pull over the 04, no extra hit, just pulls stronger earlier. Mid power feels a bit stronger also, the top feels unchanged and its strong. Just an awesome motor and hooks up real well! just like the 04.

Jetting is super crisp and clean, almost 4 stroke like in it's roll on off the bottom, its jetted that clean on the bottom. I made no adjustments :cool:

Also the clutch action, that was a bit grabby on the 04 on cold take offs is gone. The 05 is smooth.

The forks were changed for 05 but felt the same to me, and worked great. I used the std. setting on the forks and shock all day and never felt the need to change. Thats good stuff, most of the time with new bike I'm always trying new clicker settings. Suzuki has it dialed, at least the way I like it.

The seat has a new foam for 05 that is very Honda like, much better than the 04 seat foam that was too soft.

The rest are all hold overs from the 04 like the awesome turning(better than my YZ 125) with great stability and a real light feel for a big bike.

I am really suprised I just can't think of 1 thing to complain about with the 05. OK maybe the tires id rather have Dunlops. :)

So thats about it, I felt all the changes made were good one's and made a great bike even better! I highly recommend one, if your looking to buy a 250 2 smoke for 05.

Last edited:

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Good report steve. What about the bars? Are they renthals?
Also do those bikes have any headshake? Or are they pretty stable.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Elf, very stable! as good as any bike these days. What really sells me on this bike, well there's many things really :) But its the turning, it takes so little input and just carves up a line. Next is the way the motor runs and hooks up, then the suspension, it has to be the best stock set up Ive ever ridden. The brakes also are strong and progressive, no grabbing or locking on the front.

The bars are a copy of the Renthals. Also the TI pegs are a nice touch.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
steve- have you swapped out to oversized bars yet? did you just get a new clamp or just buy the bar mounts? the ride engineering ones from the CRF fit, but with 8 bolts for a set of handlebars, they are a bit overengineered!!

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Bruce, I'm using the Emig top clamp that was on my 04. Yes its set up for oversize bars and its not rubber mounted since I also use the Flex Bars. Those are great bars by the way :cool:

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
thanks for the write up! i have an 04 and love it to death, would love to get an 05 but will have to keep this one for another year.. as long as there is oil burning machines (other then the crf250! :D) in production for 06 i will get one (hopefully it doesnt go aluminum frame, or if it does it works better then the steel)

i love my 04, my friends do too!! one of them put his CR in the paper 2 weeks after and bought a brand new 04RM250

ps - do you own an 05 or did you just get to ride one? any pics

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
OK, i got to spin a few laps on the 05 RM250 yesterday- i was really impressed. does every thing everyone says- loads of torque and easy to use roll on power. turns on a dime, yet goes in a straight line, great suspension. i am sold!!!!

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Bruce! don't forget "sounds awesome", :yeehaw: no Beano needed with this bike! :rotfl:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Steve, Suzuki says the fork is all new and 'works-like'. You didn't have much to say about it. They seem to be trying to imply that they threw a lot of money at the fork.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
nephron said:
Steve, Suzuki says the fork is all new and 'works-like'. You didn't have much to say about it. They seem to be trying to imply that they threw a lot of money at the fork.

well, i am not steve, but if you want my opinion, i think suzuki are using the same fork as last years CRF- it came with the special coating on the internals.- i was really impressed with the fork- very progressive. i tell ya, its a real bind having to hold off buying one of these bikes while more turn up and the prices come down.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
The forks are nice, and Bruce is right the up-grades are like that of the CRF's. I really need more time to break them in, but for just a 1 day ride I made no adjustments :cool:

Bruce the spring rates per the manual are 5.3 shock and .44 forks. Even though I haven't tested the rate yet, it feels real close. Riders in the 180-200 lb range, these springs should be fine.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The rm now uses the large passive pistons like the CR had a few years ago-the only difference to a works fork is the works now have a larger damper rod and fancy coatings, the larger rod IMO doesnt mean they actually work better, the coatings if done correctly will make a tiny difference.So basically you do have a works type fork.Dont be fooled into thinking the new KYB twin chamber is as good at this time(05s) russ17 has done alot of work on the YZ250 fork and it has a few issues still to be resolved-its not just a few shims to fix it.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Joka, yes I bought it a little over 1 week ago.

Marcus? still gettin the BeanO bike????? :rotfl:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Pipe update stevie?????? :)

last night i watched Tortelli at Broome- awesome!!!! thats what MX is all about.

The dealer called me today, 05rm250 in stock!!!!!!

FWIW- Applied race make an oversized clamp setup for the 02-03 RM250, $70- it comes with the rubber cones and the bar pad etc- they fit, but you have to shave a couple if MMs off the short ends of the cone. Ive not even ridden it yet and its no longer stock! saturday willbe a long wait this week, and no racing until OctoberKross at Glen Helen on the 4th.

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
AWESOME!! lets see some pics, i want one too!

bclapham said:
Pipe update stevie?????? :)

last night i watched Tortelli at Broome- awesome!!!! thats what MX is all about.

The dealer called me today, 05rm250 in stock!!!!!!

FWIW- Applied race make an oversized clamp setup for the 02-03 RM250, $70- it comes with the rubber cones and the bar pad etc- they fit, but you have to shave a couple if MMs off the short ends of the cone. Ive not even ridden it yet and its no longer stock! saturday willbe a long wait this week, and no racing until OctoberKross at Glen Helen on the 4th.

grunk250r

Nov 16, 1999
applied clamps fit the 05'RM250 with trimming??

bclapham where did you find that kit for $70?? And am I understanding that it fits the 05'RM250 with some trimming?? THANKS.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
http://www.appliedrace.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/scstore/p-4718.html?E+scstore

they are mounted to my 05

all i did was cut 3mm off the small end of each cone.

also, the bolts are long enough so that you can raise the bars upto at least 5mm just by using washers or collars. they also can be mounted in either direction to move the bars forward or backwards.

FWIW- the applied stuff is so much better than a lot of bar mounts and clamps ive seen- they machine the hole so the mount is nice and round with a good bar mating area. ive seen plenty of bar mounts that wernt round inside.

Top Bottom