05 RM85 crack in crankcase drain hole

DaRooster

Oct 8, 2005
All,

Need some advice. Here's my dillemma: My older son's RM85 has a crack in the drain hole in the bottom of the crankcase. I bought the bike used, so it looks as if the previous owner tried to weld, or piece together the piece that the drain bolt screws into. I've read that "Heli-coil" works well with stripped out holes but in this instance whats my best way to attack this??? Other than buying a new crankcase?? I really do not want to half ass it (like the previous owner). I found this problem as I was draining/replacing gear lube in the cases and a day later a nice 3" puddle of lube was on the floor!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Chad

bryank30

Jan 13, 2009
Man.. If I read what you stated correctly, it sounds like you will be splitting the case and finding a welder that specializes in aluminum heli-arc welding... Or ebaying a set of matching crankcases. Another option would be to remove the engine from the frame, lay it over, let it set and take carburetor cleaner and compressed air to TOTALLY clean all oil away from the area in question and JB Weld the broken piece carefully to the case making sure the bolt is tight and sealed, allowing a full 24 hours for it to cure and never put a wrench on that bolt again. You would have to pull the clutch cover or transmission cover to do a gear oil change from that point on..

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
the same problem happened to me. You don't have to crack the cases or anything, we just took the engine out, and grinded the drain hole down close to the crankcase. Next we welded a block of billet on the hole, and helicoiled it. Works like it is new. Just remember not to grind the hole down all the way into the crankcase, leave a little left.

Top Bottom