yota

Oct 9, 2001
I've had 2 rides on my new 250 2 stroke, about 70 miles total. Right from the start it has made a pretty loud metallic whining noise from the gearbox while riding, in all gears. It runs great, no problems but is very annoying. I've had a lot of bikes over the years and have never had a noise like this. Is this normal or am I in for trouble? thanks

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
yota said:
I've had 2 rides on my new 250 2 stroke, about 70 miles total. Right from the start it has made a pretty loud metallic whining noise from the gearbox while riding, in all gears. It runs great, no problems but is very annoying. I've had a lot of bikes over the years and have never had a noise like this. Is this normal or am I in for trouble? thanks

There is some piston slap on the 05 YZ 250, you can hear it when letting off the gas into a turn. It's noticeable but not excessive.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
marcusgunby said:
Yes okie wont change it:(
You asked? Humm.. I'll pass the word to the graphics department. ;)

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
I'm not saying this is your culprit, but the last time I had a whining noise coming from my gearbox, it turned out to be a bearing that had failed. Two of the balls had fragemented and had flat sides to them. It was a very pronounced sound.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Okie i did ages and ages ago-if you could do a non bike specific one that would be great, i change brands more than my underwear these days;)

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I must be fortunate, my 05 doesn't make any noise like this. The only noise it makes is the clutch sometimes gives a little squeel when starting off, maybe 1 out of 20 times.

yota

Oct 9, 2001
Yeah, sounds like gear or bearing noise. Don't think its the clutch. Strange on a brand new bike. I guess I better take it in so I can get the run around from the dealer. At least maybe Marcus will get his avatar updated out of this.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i know a lot of guys that broke third gear on their 03-04 yz250s- we are talking 2-3 gears in a season.

there was no sign that they had updated the gears this year.........

Redrider

Nov 2, 1999
I have an 04 yz 250 that makes a similar sound when you really rev it hard in fifth gear then let off. I can pull the clutch in and start downshifting and the noise will go away when I hit second gear. This bike seems to be really sensitive to the type of tranny oil and it also wants fresh tranny oil each ride. If I change the oil each time I ride I never get the sound but if i go a couple of rides I start hearing the sound in fifth gear. I usually hear it after running pretty hard down a fire road or something. My dealer also time me "ride and see if it gets worse"

I hope this helps. Like you I was sick when this brand "new" bike started making this noise. Anyway, I have a 1999 cr 250 as a backup that I have not had the first problem out of.

Redrider
04 yz 250
99 cr 250

yota

Oct 9, 2001
My noise is in all gears and all the time. I changed oil after the 1st ride with no change to the noise. What oil are you using? I use MX4T in the gearbox, MX2T in the fuel.

Redrider

Nov 2, 1999
I used to use the Honda gear oil which was a specific tranny oil for "high performance cr models" but this oil in the Yamaha made the tranny noise occur more often so i went with the cheap stuff: good ol automatic tansmission fluid which seems better than anything Ive tried...go figure. at this point I plan on going from this color :| yamaha to this color :p honda.
Good luck with the bike...at this time I plan on riding it until it grenades then go from there.....It seems that no mechanic wants to touch it until the problem becomes more clear...

James980

Dec 29, 1999
Just a thought here (albeit a pleasant one), but could it be you're just not used to the additional hum you're probably getting with the aluminum frame? That the sound is in all gears suggests it's either that, the clutch or a bearing, not necessarily the tranny.

Top Bottom