bbqtex

Mar 23, 2005
Hey guys I'm new here and looking for help.
I bought an 05 yz250 with very low hours on monday. Rode it around a while but was not impressed. It feels like a dog compared to my 450sx. I know the 450 is more motor but i was expecting this thing to run better. Very low bottom power and runs out of revs real quick. The bud who sold it to me thought it was jetted rich. Does it make that much difference?
Anyway does the JD jetting kit make a big difference or is stock needle okay. After all the magazine reviews the last couple of years about how great this motor is I'm dissapointed. I feel there is more power there but dont know how to unleash it as I dont know much about two strokes.
I'd like to maximize it before going to pipe and reed valve ect. It should run better stock I think.
I ride mostly offroad and was wanting something lighter to throw around the wooded areas but still want some better power.
Do the big bore four strokes just have me spoiled? This is my third four stroke. (the 450sx)
Any help appreciated
Thanks.
:ride:

Last edited:

RAR

Nov 30, 2001
Arnie, is that you? That bike has major balls, man! The stock tires are not good acording to the people who have them. Maybe you're getting too much wheel spin. I've ridden that bike and I can't understand how you could need more punch. :aj:

bbqtex

Mar 23, 2005
Yea its me. remember i've been riding 525's and 450's. I think theres more power there and want to get it.

BTW you know car salesmen like to exaggerate.

:laugh:

The bike is drop dead gorgeous with the B Hannah plastic and graphics. I just want it to run as good as it looks. :yikes:

Last edited:

bbqtex

Mar 23, 2005
Can anyone give me some suggestions on needle, air screw , and pilot settings for 70 8- temps at sea level?
Thanks again.

RAR

Nov 30, 2001
bbqtex,

You'll never get the torque you want out of that YZ. In fact, now that I remember....that bike is really dog slow. You should just dump it while you can. I'll give you $1500... let me know! :boss:

gonzo843

May 24, 2004
I'll give you 2k. Honestly spend a few hunderd and get the motor completely redone. It will make a world of difference. You can do it for like 300 bucks. Then the bike will rip.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
The bike should rip stock! I've ridden 4 strokes and there's no way your 05 YZ should feel slow.
Jetting is pretty simple once you got the concept down. The power should be crisp and have intsant throttle response....almost jumpy. If your bike is not responding instantly the jetting is off.

Try reading this...very helpful.
http://www.dirtrider.net/justkdx/

bbqtex

Mar 23, 2005
Okay an update:

Drained the old gas and got a new plug. Mixed some silkolene with some race gas, adjusted the air screw from 3 turns out to 1 1/2 and..... POW!
Much much better and closer to what I was expecting in the first place.

Gonna ride it all morning tomarrow on the trails and see what else it does.

Gonzo how do you rebuild a whole motor for $300?

Thanks all

DirtBurglar

Mar 24, 2005
Sale It And Buy A 05 Kx 250, If Not I'll Sell U Some Sonoco Gas, Forget The Main And The Pipe. When I Rode That Bike It Scared Me And That Was At Cycleranch.

bbqtex

Mar 23, 2005
Which bike scared you ? The kx or the yz?
The ktm 250 is apparently the horsepower king so if I wind up liking a 2st I may end up with that one. The have a slimmer feel and lighter steering imo. That suits my little body well.
Anyway the bike responded well to the changes today so i'm liking it better already. :nod:

bbqtex

Mar 23, 2005
Yea, fire the seat cover installer it's practically falling off. hey Mike.

Rode it around on the trails today for a couple of hours. It runs great, more than enough power for the trails. I like this bike now.
Rode it back to back with a 05 200exc. The KTM out handles it easily and turns way better. Go ahead and stone me but its true. However the Yammi has too stiff springs for my weight and I was guessing at the sag so it may be better after thats all sorted out. the 450sx ktm with the 18mm's will out turn it too but its a little heavier. all in all the yamaha is fun to throw around the trails but it also needs some flywheel as it stalls too easy.

Top Bottom