johan

Nov 22, 2004
Hallo Again
I am about to pull the trigger on a brand new 05 YZ.My only concern is that I weigh 220pounds and as far as I know this bike is sprung for guys in the 165 -185 pound class.This will mean new springs in the front and in the back.Seeing that I am buying the bike from a dealer can I ask him [or Yamaha ] to change the springs for me free of charge or is that to much to ask .I dont really want to carry that xtra $500 or so.Please advise.
I would like to take the bike back to South Africa and as you guys know we have unleaded gas [93 and 97 octane]aswell as Unleaded. If I use 97 octane,will the bike run right and what will I have to change to make it run with this gas or should I just stick to unleaded[always thought 2 strokes make better power with better gas].
My plan is to put the Pro CirCuit pipe[platinum 2] and x haust[factory sound] on ,please give me your advise and thoughts.
Any replies and thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Johan

B

biglou

You rate octane with the RON in S.A., correct? If so, the 97 should work. As for springs, they won't generally do that in the states for free, but springs can be had for $80-100U.S. each end. Installation is a snap for do-it-yourself types. Great bike, by the way!

Satch0922

Aug 30, 2003
yeah...the dealer is not going to do anything for free! You are correct though...you will need stiffer springs. I weigh 215-220 and went with a 5.2 (5.0 stock) on the rear and .46 fork springs (.44 stock). I also had the forks revalved. That set up works great for an over 40 motocross squid like me!

BTW....Lou is correct ....GREAT BIKE!

My MX Pix

johan

Nov 22, 2004
Thanks

Hallo
Thank you for your replies.I will take heed to your advice and I will see what i can do with those dealers.
Regards
Johan

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Whats the Ran going for these days. $500.00 dollars seems very expensive to me to respring the bike. Like Satch said you are looking at $200 for springs and the rear shock spring is very easy to change. The front springs need a little more mechanically minded person, but with right tools are very easy.

Erik

johan

Nov 22, 2004
The Rand and what you can do with it!!

Hallo
The exchange rate is R6.77 for $1 .That means that you can buy a 2005 Yamaha yz 250 for the bargain price of $11000 yes $11000 .
That my friend is why I am buying my bike here and shipping it back to South Africa.
Later on in this year I will post on this forum asking if somebody knows of someone that is shipping a container to Sa.
I looked at a few shipping companys and their rates .This [shipping costs],import duty and bike costs will bring me to $8000 which saves me a few $$..That is the price we pay to enjoy sports in Sa but then again we live in Africa.
Regards
Johan

dez nut

Oct 9, 2005
The springs are easy to install yourself and should make a major difference. My brother and I share our 05 YZ 250 (We both have other bikes) and he's about 170 lbs and I'm 225. We've left the stock springs on it and it works pretty darn well for both of us. I'm sure I'd be better off with heavier springs but it still works good enough to make me smile. We just swap out my taller seat and handlebars when I ride it. I ride it in the desert and he races MX on it.
I wouldn't waste money on a pipe just yet. Ride it first. The motor is very stout right out of the box and you might like it just fine the way it is. I have a KTM 300 (which I love) and I ride the YZ particularly after it rains and the traction is good. The bike has so much mid range you can hardly keep the front end on the ground. It's really a blast to ride. You'll love it.Deznut

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom